Student Military Leave
The University recognizes the obligations and sacrifices incurred by national service in the military forces of the United States.
Through the National Guard, the Reserve forces, and the possibility of a national draft, it may be necessary for students to leave the University for active duty military service, or alternative service as required by the President of the United States, or the Governor commanding the National Guard during an academic term.
Accepting the extraordinary circumstances to the nation and the student which require such service, the University will provide all possible aid to students who are called to active duty and will make full effort to provide a fair transition as the student leaves the University and returns. In all cases of required military service, fairness must be interpreted to the benefit of the student.
The refund of tuition, fees, and room and board charges for students in the military reserves who have been called to active duty will be dependent upon whether the student chooses to take Incompletes (I) in current coursework or chooses to withdraw from some or all courses.
1) A student called to active duty/alternative service who chooses to withdraw from all coursework is entitled to a full refund of tuition, fees, and room charges, and a pro-rated refund of board charges based on the number of meals eaten. All financial aid will be returned to the respective program.
2) A student called to active duty/alternative service who chooses to complete only some current coursework is assessed tuition charges at a recalculated rate based on the number of credit hours to be completed. Financial aid is adjusted in accordance with the new enrollment status and revised charges.
3) A student called to active duty/alternative service who chooses to take Incompletes (I) in all courses does not receive a tuition refund. The room charge and unused board charge are refunded. Financial aid is adjusted in accordance with revised charges.
Four grading options exist for students in the military reserves who have been called to active duty/alternative service:
1) The student may elect to receive a grade of I in all classes. Upon termination of active duty/alternative service, the student must complete any necessary work to remove the I before the end of the next complete semester following the termination of active duty/alternative service status. As in the regular policy governing incompletes, the grade will revert to F unless removed prior to the stated deadline. The assignment of an “Incomplete” will be made in consultation between the professor and the student with the professor establishing in writing what requirements for course completion remain. The written statement of requirements will be entered in the student’s records as maintained by the University.
2) The student may elect to completely withdraw from the University, receiving a grade of W (withdrew passing) in all courses.
3) The student may elect to receive a regular grade based on partially completed work in some classes, while receiving a grade of “W” in others where the student has completed at least half of the course.
4) The student may elect to receive a grade of “S/U.” The “S/U” determination will be permitted even if the student had not initially registered for the course to be so designated. The assignment of the grade of “S/U” will be made in consultation between the professor of the course and the student, and the professor may require an examination or some other fair equivalent final assignment.
Upon return to the University, if the student received credit for a course required for a sequential course before completing the full academic term, he/she may be required by the department to take a qualifying examination before advancing to the following course. No other requirements may be added that are not required of all students enrolled in the sequential course.