University Police Officer
Muskingum University invites applications for the position of University Police Officer. This position is responsible for protecting the people and property of the Muskingum University campus as a member of the Muskingum University Police Department.
Muskingum offers a comprehensive benefits package, such as medical, dental, and vision insurance, term life insurance, and immediate access to tuition remission, subject to program guidelines. The starting wage for this position is $22.00 per hour, and more information about benefits is available on the Human Resources website.
- Assist in daily operations of safety and security to maintain law and order in the campus community.
- Enforce parking regulations and traffic control, which may include ticketing, immobilizing, or towing).
- Conduct appropriate follow-up to acts against federal, state, or county statutes and University policies, including appropriate investigation, confiscation of property, and/or detention of individuals.
- Maintain appropriate records, including comprehensive reports and necessary documentation.
- Provide campus safety-related training programs, such as fire and tornado drills, drug/alcohol abuse seminars, and active threat trainings.
- Promptly share personal knowledge of campus irregularities regarding students, faculty, staff, and/or facilities with the University Chief of Police.
- Assist in campus compliance with government regulations.
- Cooperate with and enhance the relationship between the University Police Department and other law enforcement agencies.
- Assist with the care and maintenance of all equipment assigned to the University Police Department.
- Conduct routine patrols of campus.
- Lock and unlock facilities as scheduled and as needed.
- Assist with the coordination and provision of traffic control for special events.
- Assist with daily department operations, including issuance of parking tags, room openings, lost and found, etc.
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the major functions of the position and should not be considered a complete description of the essential functions of the position. This Job Description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will be assigned by the immediate supervisor to perform other duties as needed or to perform other reasonable related duties, including special projects.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Current certification as a law enforcement officer by the Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy.
- Current firearms qualification, as required by OPOTA.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of professional law enforcement methods and operations.
- Ability to evaluate situations and perform job responsibilities with fairness, impartiality, and without malice.
- Ability to create an appropriate relationship of trust with students.
- Ability to learn University policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain the strictest confidence and avoid conflicts of interest.
- Possess strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must include a letter of interest, a resume, and a list of 3 professional references, including each reference’s email address, phone number, and a brief description of your relationship to the reference. Application materials should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 740-826-6131. Please include the position title in the subject line of your correspondence. This position will remain open until filled with review of applications to begin immediately.
Muskingum University actively seeks out and welcomes administrators and staff who are committed to excellence in student learning, consider the engagement of diverse communities in the University’s educational programs and activities, and are committed to full inclusivity at the University. As an equal opportunity employer, Muskingum welcomes applications from individuals from populations, which have been historically underrepresented in higher education and/or have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
Muskingum University does not discriminate in its employment or educational programs or activities. Please visit https://www.muskingum.edu/non-discrimination-statement to review the university’s official non-discrimination statement.