Our Special Education program prepares you to be a competent, compassionate, collaborative, intervention specialist who will confidently connect with all students.
Our program holds CAEP Accreditation – the education profession’s “seal of approval” – which signifies that we meet or exceed the national professional standards for the preparation of teachers and other school specialists, and that our up-to-date, relevant, and research-based educational experience will prepare you well for your teacher licensing examinations.
- Multiple opportunities to interact in field experience settings with students, one-on-one, in small groups, and full class discussions.
- Develop effective collaboration strategies with students, families, other teachers, and school staff.
- Learn how to recognize the individual needs of each student and nurture an attitude of discovery and acknowledgement, so all can achieve their potential.
- Help others appreciate the possibilities of students with special needs.
- Qualify to join Muskingum’s chapter of Kappa Delta Pi – the International Honor Society in Education – and connect with a fellowship of top educators and opportunities for career-long professional development excellence.
- Participate in networking events, workshops, seminars, and conferences presented by professional associations spanning a wide variety of education topics.
- Classes in education are held in the Roberta A. Smith University Library classrooms, equipped as “smart classrooms” with Internet, SmartPodium or a mobile KAP IQ Smart Board and computer-display capabilities. The Muskingum Department of Education has iPads, laptops and handheld devices that are available for student and faculty use in education classrooms with wireless connectivity. Other departments throughout the University provide the language labs, science labs, and other facilities necessary to train candidates to become teachers in public schools. These resources are designed to ensure that teacher candidates are able to incorporate technology effectively to enhance instruction and student learning.
You will be ready to earn your license from the State of Ohio in special education, grades K-12.
Our graduates find employment as special education teachers in public and private schools and other educational settings.