MAP (Muskingum Adult Program) Guide
There are many ways to ask us questions. We're here to help!
Your Muskingum ID is Your Key to Library Services!
Your Muskingum ID allows you to borrow items from the library, request items from other OhioLINK libraries, use OhioLINK's Pick-Up Anywhere service, and use our research databases off-campus. To access these items online, you will need your barcode. It is located on the back of your student id. If you do not have a student id, you should have received your barcode (a 14-digit number) in an email from Janeen Eno. Contact the library (email@example.com) or call (740) 826-8152 for your barcode. For security purposes, we will send your barcode to your Muskingum email.
If you lose your ID, you will need to contact Aramark's Campus Services Office for a replacement. Campus Services is located at 24 Stadium Drive which is to the west of the Rec Center. Their phone number is (740) 826-8147 and their email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
How to check Your Record online
- Click on the link, My Account, which can be found in the top navigator on every page of the library's web site.
- Enter your name EXACTLY how it appears on your Muskingum ID (including middle initial) and the barcode number (the 14-digit number on the BACK of your ID under the barcode) and click submit.
You can use your online record for the following: check due dates; check fines; renew books; cancel a book request.
What are OPAL and OhioLINK?
Please read our specialized help sheet for important information on using library resources off-campus.
OPAL is a consortium of 24 private academic libraries located throughout the state of Ohio. OPAL was created in 1999. Member institutions share a common public catalog and allow members to borrow circulating items without charge.
OhioLINK a consortium of 121 Ohio colleges and universities and the State Library of Ohio. In addition, books from public libraries are available through SearchOhio. OhioLINK is the primary provider of our research databases, electronic books, and electronic journals.
The Muskingum Catalog is accessible from every page on the library's web site in the link menu at the top of the page, or from the Find a Book page. Search the catalog to locate items owned by Muskingum.
Search the OhioLINK catalog to locate items owned by most institutions of higher learning in Ohio. Click on "Request It" and then select "Muskingum University" when asked to select your school or institution. You will be asked for your name and barcode number. Books requested from OhioLINK will take 4-5 days to arrive at Muskingum. An email will be sent to your @muskingum.edu account when the item is available for pick-up.
What is Pick-Up Anywhere?
When you request a book through the OPAL or OhioLINK catalog, you have the option to have it delivered to any OhioLINK member library in the state. So, if you lived in Newark, you could choose to have books delivered to the library at Denison University or OSU-Newark/COTC and pick up the books there using your Muskingum University ID. Simply choose another Pickup Institution and Pickup Location instead of Muskingum University.
The Library provides access to over 300 research databases. Use these databases to find journal articles. Many of our databases provide abstracts and some include the full-text of the article. If the full-text is not available click on OLinks/Find It to see if the full-text is available in the Electronic Journal Center or another database.
How to Use Research Databases
- Identify the key concepts you are researching and potential synonyms and acronyms.
- Enter those words in the text entry box. Avoid using phrases, unless you are specifically wanting those words in that order
- Use AND, OR, NOT to link your words to create specific searches (example: ADHD or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
- Double check your spelling
- Browse through the search results. Click on the hyperlink article title to view the abstract.
- The full-text may be attached as a PDF or a link to full-text may be present.
- If full-text is not present, click on Find It Find It Button to see if the full-text is available in another database like the Electronic Journal Center.
How to use Research Databases from Home or Work
- Enter your name
- Enter the 14-digit number on the BACK of your student ID as your barcode and click on submit.
Can't Get Into a Database from Home or Work?
If you are having problems accessing a research database off-campus:
- Make sure you enter your name exactly as it appears on your Muskingum University ID./li>
- Make sure you use the 14 digit number on the back, not the number on the front.
- Make sure your browser is configured to accept cookies.
- If you still can't get access you may not have a library record. Call us at (740)826-8152 or email us at email@example.com.
If you find a citation for a book that is not available from OhioLINK or for a journal article that is not available in print or electronically then you may request it using Interlibrary Loan.