Academic Affairs

Who to Contact When (Academics)

Here is information about who to contact, according to academic need or situation.

Academic Matters:

(NOTE: The following is an overview of general policies presented for the convenience of parents. Complete policies may be found by consulting the Muskingum University Undergraduate Catalog which is to be considered authoritative. For graduate and MAP concerns, kindly refer to the materials available from the Office of Graduate & Continuing Studies.)

Absences from Classes (Non-Emergency)

University policy states that it is the responsibility of the student to arrange to make-up - at the convenience of the instructor - class assignments or previously-scheduled quizzes and/or exams, missed due to absence. Timely (at least one week in advance) notice to professors when absence will be unavoidable is expected.

On those occasions when only short notice can be given to professors, students should contact the professor or professors of the classes that will be missed as soon as it is possible. Contact information for the student's professor is available from the syllabus distributed in class.

Emergency Absences from Classes

In instances of emergency - or when a student is otherwise unable to contact a professor in advance - students (or families, as may be necessary) should contact the university's Office of Academic Affairs. That office will, in turn, contact the student's professors.

Telephone (8:00 to 5:00, Monday through Friday): 740-826-8035
Main number, Academic Affairs: 740-826-8122

Grade Issues/Appeals

According to university policy, faculty members are responsible for outlining grading policies to students at the beginning of each course. In the event that students believe that they have received a wrong grade on an examination or for a course, the initial step is to discuss the grade directly with the faculty member teaching the course. If that step does not result in a satisfactory explanation or resolution of the perceived problem, the student may then bring the matter to the attention of the department chairperson, and subsequently (if necessary) to the division chairperson and then to the Provost.

Telephone (8:00 to 5:00, Monday through Friday): 740-826-8035
Main number, Academic Affairs: 740-826-8122

Academic Records/Forms/Transcripts

The Muskingum University Registrar's Office maintains and processes the records and forms associated with students' academics at the university. Such records and forms include the following, many of which are available online:

  • Transcript requests
  • Application to graduate
  • Major/minor declaration forms
  • Course withdrawal forms
  • Course overload petition forms
  • Course substitution request forms
  • Directed study, field experience and internship forms
  • Change of catalog and change of Gen Ed forms
  • Gen Ed/LAE checklists
  • Transfer credit forms
  • Student requests for enrollment verifications, grade reports, etc.
  • Change of address
  • Leave of absence/withdrawal forms
  • Information about much of the above, including such matters as
  • Academic Advising
  • Course Registration
  • Adding or Dropping Courses
  • Withdrawing from Courses
  • Declaring Majors, and
  • Attendance Requirements

Office telephone (8:00 to 5:00, Monday through Friday): 740-826-8164.

For further information, including contact information, visit the webpage of the Office of the Registrar.


For information about Muskingum University's extensive - and free - tutoring services, contact the Study Center.

PLUS students should contact the PLUS Program office.


In the event that your need has not been addressed above - or further assistance is required - kindly contact the Office of Academic Affairs at 740-826-8122. The office is open 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

Back to top