Muskingum University seeks creative, thoughtful, and student-centered applicants for the position of University Chaplain. The Chaplain will nurture a spiritual climate that honors Muskingum University’s affiliation with the Presbyterian Church USA and provide opportunities for all members of the Muskingum University community to engage their faith traditions and participate in spiritual formation. Ministering to individual spiritual needs of students through pastoral counseling and care is a key role, as is a ministry of presence and spiritual reflection at events and celebrations. The Chaplain will envision and implement new approaches to inclusive worship services and guide the campus community in spiritual exploration and development. As a core member of committees on diversity and inclusion, and as coordinator of service opportunities, the Chaplain connects issues of social justice to multi-faith traditions of caring and building a just community.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- An advanced degree in religion (M.A.; M.T.S.; M.Div.; Th.M.; D.Min) is required.
- A valid ordination certificate from the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and good standing with the individual’s Presbytery.
- Experience in college chaplaincy, or administrative responsibility in religious institutions, student life, social service, or social justice agencies
- Appreciation of and a desire to promote an inclusive religious and spiritual understanding within a higher education context.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to different religious traditions and worldviews, personal circumstances, including gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills that facilitate engagement and connection with students, faculty, staff colleagues and the broader community
- Skilled in leadership roles and as a contributing and supportive member of multiple teams.
- Understanding of the needs and functioning of an undergraduate residential campus.
How to Apply
Applications must include a letter of interest, a resume, and 3 professional references and should be sent by email to email@example.com or fax to 740-826-6131. Please include the position title in the subject line of your correspondence. This position will remain open until filled, with review of candidates to begin immediately.
Muskingum University actively seeks out and welcomes administrators and staff who are committed to excellence in student learning, consider the engagement of diverse communities in the University’s educational programs and activities, and are committed to full inclusivity at the University. As an equal opportunity employer, Muskingum welcomes applications from individuals from populations, which have been historically underrepresented in higher education and/or have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
Muskingum University does not discriminate in its employment or educational programs or activities. Please visit https://www.muskingum.edu/non-discrimination-statement to review the university’s official non-discrimination statement.