Assistant/Associate Professor of Spanish Language & Culture
Muskingum University invites applications for a dynamic academic leader to help transform the world languages curriculum within a cultural and international studies model. This is a tenure-track position beginning in January 2021 with rank of assistant or associate professor, depending on prior rank and academic experience. Building on a background of Spanish language teaching, the successful candidate will help design and implement an innovative program of language fluency and trans-cultural understanding and communication. The position will involve teaching Spanish language courses while working collaboratively with colleagues in humanities and social sciences both at Muskingum University and from other institutions to engage students in the study of languages, cultures, history, and international relations. Professional activity, including publication, is required for tenure.
- Doctorate in Spanish, Latin American Studies, applied linguistics or related field
- Proficiency in Spanish language and cultures
- Record of successful undergraduate teaching
- A passion for student development and advising
- Experience with curriculum planning and program development
- Demonstrate the strong leadership, team building, and relationship-building needed for successful collaboration
- Competency in online teaching and evaluation of online courses in a consortium model
- Active presence in the professional community of international language and culture educators
- Commitment to supporting students from diverse backgrounds
- Muskingum University particularly welcomes applications from scholars who are from populations historically underrepresented in the academy
Muskingum is a comprehensive university with a strong liberal arts tradition located just seventy miles east of Columbus, Ohio, in the village of New Concord. The university’s total undergraduate, graduate, and adult-learner student population is approximately 3,000. An equal opportunity employer, the university actively seeks out and welcomes faculty and staff who are committed to excellence in teaching and student learning, thrive in a collaborative environment of scholars, embrace experiential learning, consider the engagement of diverse communities in the educational experience, and desire to mentor a multicultural student population.
To apply, send the following materials electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Letter of application addressing the qualities and qualifications sought by the university for this position
A current curriculum vitae
Copies of all graduate transcripts
List of three professional references with contact information and relationship to applicant
Questions may be directed to Dr. Jane Varley (email@example.com) Chair, Division of Arts & Humanities. Applications should be received by November 1, 2020. Appointment to this position is conditional upon the successful completion of a background check through the University's background check agency.