Back to top
Spanish Success Stories
- Sydney Bowers '18 majored in Spanish and is currently working for Westfield Services in Columbus, OH as their Bilingual Commercial Lines Representative. In the summer of 2018, she studied at Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha in Cuenca, Spain in their ESPACU program. She was the representative for the American students during the program’s inauguration ceremony in July 2018.
- Samantha Poling '18 majored in Spanish, International Affairs and Political Science. She works as a Site Coordinator for the Ohio Hispanic Coalition in Columbus, Ohio, directing the summer camp and after-school program while overseeing its East location and its counselors. The programs serve children in grades K-5 by providing educational, social, and cultural services in the central Ohio area, providing children with homework help, healthy meals, and a unique cultural experience with fun activities including weekly Zumba and various field trips throughout the summer.
- Shayla Cohen '17 studied Spanish and Health Administration. She is currently pursuing her M.A. in Spanish at Ohio University where she also works as a Spanish Teaching Assistant. Upon graduating from Muskingum in 2017, Shayla moved to Toledo, Spain to work as an English Language Assistant at our partner university, Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha. During her senior year, Shayla was awarded the prestigious Dr. Marie-France Hilgar Scholarship from Phi Sigma Iota, honoring selected language students who promote "Friendship, Research, and Languages." While at Muskingum, Shayla served as President of the Spanish Club and President of Phi Sigma Iota. In 2015, Shayla studied Spanish through Castilla-La Mancha’s ESTO summer program.
- Victoria Morgan '17 majored in Spanish Education. She currently teaches Spanish at Belpre City Schools in Belpre, Ohio. Victoria completed summer study abroad programs in San Juan, Puerto Rico (2016) and Toledo, Spain (2015), and she traveled to Cuba in June of 2017. Victoria was also an active member of the Spanish Club and Phi Sigma Iota.
- Paige Reiss '17 majored in Spanish Education, studying abroad in Spain the summer of 2015 and Puerto Rico the summer of 2016. After graduating Magna Cum Laude, Paige travelled to Colombia on a mission trip the summer of 2017, and later accepted her current position teaching Spanish at Tri-Valley High School, where she assists in running Spanish Club for the students there.