The English Department is dedicated to the teaching of literature and creative expression with an emphasis on close reading, critical thinking, and skillful writing. Our students have the opportunity to shape the major to meet their interests and goals, choosing, for example, a concentration in writing, a particular literary period, the western literary canon, or global diversity.
- Innovative teaching techniques and attention to inclusive, supportive classrooms, with an emphasis on student/faculty contact
- First Circle, our literary arts magazine
- Enrichment opportunities, such as writing, retreats, bookstore visits and national conferences
- Opportunities to study pop culture, film, and gender, and a variety of critical and scholarly approaches to literature and culture
- Continuing connection—post-graduation—with our department, including invitations to return as a guest speaker
- Internships offering student supervised English-related work experience, such as those in professional contexts involving editing and publication
Our students graduate with excellent writing skills, which prepare them for the job market and a variety of careers. Our graduates have gone into editing, new product sales, library science, advertising, education, and law.
English majors have gone on to study at Arizona State, West Virginia University, Ohio University, The Ohio State University, Butler University, Bowling Green University, University of Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, and Syracuse University.