Muskingum University recently honored scholarship, leadership, and athletic achievements for the 2021-2022 academic year with three in-person ceremonies.
The 87th annual Celebration of Excellence was held on April 8 to recognize outstanding educational achievements.
Dr. Ana Kehrberg, Associate Professor of Psychology, and the 2021-2022 recipient of the University’s William Oxley Thompson Award for Excellence in Teaching delivered the keynote address on “Excellence.” “You are here today, being celebrated, because you have developed habits that created successes. Not just once, but day after day,” she said. “Achieving excellence requires continuous work, which you already know and are living. Keep up the good habits. Even when they are not being celebrated. Even when you feel like no one is noticing. Do it for you.”
Student awards and recognitions included:
- Distinguished Scholar Awards, presented to members of the Class of 2022 who earned a 3.90 or higher G.P.A. and qualified for the President’s List for every semester of their attendance
- Class of 2022 members of the John and Anne Glenn Public Service Fellows and David and Karin Kratoville Innovation Fellows
- Muskie Fellows who completed hands-on original research under the guidance of faculty mentors during the summer of 2021
- Ignition Program Achievement Award: Anna Sellers ’22
- Academic Department Awards
- President’s List Scholars: full-time students who earned a 3.90 or higher G.P.A.
- Dean’s List Scholars: full-time students who earned a 3.60-3.89 or higher G.P.A.
- Academic Merit Scholars: part-time students who earned a 3.60 or higher G.P.A.
- Top Athletic Team overall G.P.A.: Softball
- Top Men’s Team overall G.P.A.: Men’s Golf
- Top Greek Organization overall G.P.A.: Sorority Theta Phi Alpha
- Top Fraternity overall G.P.A.: Phi Mu Alpha: Sinfonia
- Inductees into three national honor societies: Phi Kappa Phi, Omicron Delta Kappa, and Lambda Sigma
The University’s 2022-2023 faculty honors were presented to:
- Dr. Jay Shaffstall, Assistant Professor of Computer Science, William Oxley Thompson Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Dr. Michelle Oyakawa, Assistant Professor of Sociology, William Rainey Harper Award for Outstanding Scholarship
- Dr. Jim Dooley, Professor of Biology, Cora I. Orr Faculty Service Award
On April 7, the Magnus Leadership Awards ceremony recognized leadership by individual students, student organizations, and educators, whose efforts help create a dynamic and engaged campus atmosphere.
Award recipients included:
- Muskie of the Year: Cheyenne Van Gundy ’22
- Student Leader of the Year: Nathan Robey ’23
- Emerging Leader: Carter Wickham ’24
- Unsung Student Hero: Charles Smith ’22
- Student Committed to Diversity and Inclusion: Sydni Trudo ’23
- Campus Program of the Year: Relay 4 Life
- Outstanding Student Organization: Women in Politics
- Outstanding Fraternity or Sorority: Phi Kappa Psi
- Greek Member of the Year: Ryan Miller ’24
- Recreation Staff Member of the Year: Mariah Ridgeway ’22
- East Hill Resident Assistant of the Year: Caroline Quelette ’22
- West Hill Resident Assistant of the Year: Elisabeth Paden ’23
- Staff Member of the Year: Marcy Ritzert, Interim Director of Enrollment
- Unsung Staff Member: Dr. Ana Kehrberg, Associate Professor of Psychology
- Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award: Dr. Jim Dooley, Professor of Biology
On April 26, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) hosted the 6th Annual Golden Hook Awards to celebrate the accomplishments of Muskie student-athletes and teams.
Golden Hook Award recipients include:
- Breakthrough Male Athlete of the Year: Jordan Garrett ’22, Football
- Breakthrough Female Athlete of the Year: Sarah Piteo ’23, Softball
- Spark Plug Award: Claire Warschauer ’23, Softball
- Best Team Comeback Win: Softball vs. Mount Union
- Biggest Hit Award: Hunter Albers ’25, Football
- Best Leg Award: Collin Scozzafava ’24, Football
- Best Duo on the Field/Court Award: Erin Dickson ’22 and Emma Conrad ’23, Volleyball
- Best Win Award: Football vs. Ohio Northern
- Hands of Gold Award: Zuri Edmondson ’23, Football
- Best Male Single Game Performance Award: Jordan Garrett ’22, Football
- Best Female Single Game Performance Award: Brooke Fatheree Bigrigg ’22, Volleyball
- Comeback Athlete of the Year Award: Ryan Peck ’22, Men’s Soccer
- Outstanding Team of the Year Award: Softball
- Hoops for Hunger Food Drive Champion: Women’s Basketball
- Team Academic Award: Softball
Students were recognized with the following Athletic Department awards:
- Greg Riggar Dedication to Sport Award: 13 members of the Class of 2022
- Amy White Strive for Excellence Award: Maddie McGee ’22, Volleyball
- Roy “Red” Turner Strive for Excellence Award: Spencer Zecchini ’24, Men’s Lacrosse
- Donna J. Newberry Pursuit of Perfection Award: Jordan Garrett ’22, Football and Claire Warschauer ’23, Softball
- William F. Lange Outstanding Freshman Award: Evan Thro ’25, Men’s Bowling and Riley Hudock ’25, Women’s Lacrosse
- Barbara Steiner Outstanding Senior Female Athlete: Haley Hawk ’22, Softball and Brooke Fatheree Bigrigg ’22, Volleyball
- William G. Moore Outstanding Senior Male Athlete: Jordan Garrett ’22, Football and Alex Masinelli ’22, Men’s Basketball
- Ohio Athletic Conference Clyde Lamb Honorees: Caleb Barnette ’22, Men’s Golf and Haley Hawk ’22, Softball
Visit the Fighting Muskies website for more Golden Hook Award coverage.
Congratulations to all!