AthleticsNight of Impact Honors Muskies
Muskingum University’s Night of Impact celebration on February 3, 2023, inducted the newest members of the University’s Athletic Hall of Fame and recognized Class of 2023 senior student-athletes from across all 25 varsity sports.
The newest members of the Hall of Fame are:
- J.R. Fox ’90, Track and Field/Football. He finished third at the NCAA Championships in the decathlon to earn All-American honors. He was the Ohio Athletic Conference champion in the triple jump, the current school record holder in the decathlon, and a school record holder member of the 4x400 meter relay team. He was also a three-year starter on the Muskingum football team.
- Steve Hare ’94, Football. He was a Football Gazette Honorable Mention All-American linebacker and two-time Ohio Athletic Conference honoree as an offensive lineman and linebacker. He served as team captain and was the team MVP in 1993. He ranks in the Top 10 in tackles in a season with 109.
- Kari Hoying Winters ’08, Softball. She was a two-time National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-American honoree (First Team and Third Team) and two-time Ohio Athletic Conference (OAC) Player of the Year (2006, 2007). She helped lead Muskingum to four OAC Championships, three OAC Tournament Championships, three NCAA Regional Championships, and three World Series appearances. She holds the season record for hits in a season with 82 and was a two-year captain. She ended her career being recognized as the Barbara Steiner Outstanding Senior Female Athlete and the Muskingum OAC Clyde Lamb Senior Female Athlete Award winner.
- Jessica McKenzie Sweeney ’09, Volleyball/Women’s Basketball. She was a D3 News Second Team All-American and the 2008 Ohio Athletic Conference Player of the Year for women’s basketball. She ranks sixth all-time in career scoring with 1,383 points and is the school record holder for most points in a game (37) and scoring average (17.7). She was a two-time OAC honoree for volleyball and ranks fifth all-time for solo blocks in a game with seven. She ended her tenure being recognized as the Barbara Steiner Outstanding Senior Female Athlete and the Muskingum OAC Clyde Lamb Senior Female Athlete Award winner.
- Brock Whiteman ’10, Baseball. He was a two-time CoSIDA Academic All-American, ABCA Third Team All-American honoree, and the 2008 Ohio Athletic Conference Player of the Year. He is the all-time hits (222) leader at Muskingum and ranks second all-time in RBIs (176), home runs (33), and at-bats (572). Whiteman was honored with the William F. Lange Outstanding Freshman Male Athlete Award, the William G. Moore Outstanding Senior Male Athlete Award, and the Muskingum OAC Clyde Lamb Senior Male Athlete Award winner.
The Night of Impact was presented by Carol Goff & Associates Real Estate and hosted at EagleSticks Golf Club in Zanesville, Ohio. The event is available to view on Boxcast.