Muskingum University Health and Wellness Complex Project
Introducing the Muskingum University Health and Wellness Complex
A PLACE FOR EVERY MUSKIE
Muskingum’s Health and Wellness Complex (HWC) will connect academic programming, athletics, student wellness and recreation, and community partnerships.
Situated next to the current turf field and track, the HWC will provide:
- New stadium seating and concourse areas
- A multi-use indoor fieldhouse
- A state-of-the-art health and wellness hub that includes
- Fitness area
- Diagnostic center
- Athletic performance laboratory
- Multi-purpose classrooms
The Health and Wellness Complex investment represents a key element to the transformative growth outlined in Muskingum's IMPACT 2025 strategic action plan. Groundbreaking will take place in Spring 2020, with opening anticipated during Fall 2022. To make the project a reality, the University is engaged in a $30 million fundraising campaign.
"We have the opportunity to transform the student experience, expand our impact, and move the university into a new era."
-Dr. Susan S. Hasseler
The HWC will meet the needs of our:
- Growing enrollment in health science programs - a 100% increase since 2014
- Intercollegiate student-athletes, who represent more than 50% of the incoming class each year - excellence in academics and athletics go hand-in-hand.
- Fitness-focused student body - more than 60% participate in campus intramurals and even more incorporate workout routines into their daily lives.
- Expanding community partnerships for regional healthcare needs and high school athletic competitions.
Pictured: A closer look at each HWC level
- The Field Level will use the current turf field and track to host collegiate and high school competitions in football, soccer, lacrosse, and outdoor track and field.
- The Concourse Level provides hospitality facilities - including expanded concessions and ample restrooms - to serve the stadium's new traditional and non-traditional fully-accessible spectator seating.
- The Wellness Level is anchored by a 200-meter regulation indoor track surrounding a turf field that will serve our varsity athletic teams, intramural sports, and recreational activities. The main corridor of the Wellness Level overlooks the outdoor field and will be home to the state-of-the-art fitness area, diagnostic center, and athletic performance laboratory. The fitness area will offer a dynamic and energizing setting with advanced equipment, in a location allowing seamless integration of workout routines with the use of the track and turf field.
- The Classroom Level offers multi-purpose classrooms to meet the instructional needs of our growing health science programs, and to support community education offerings. On game days, these areas - which overlook the outdoor field - will serve as VIP spaces, media rooms, and coaches' boxes. Casual seating overlooking the indoor field will offer a relaxed gathering space for students and visitors, and bleachers around the upper oval will provide spectator seating for indoor track meets and other fieldhouse events.
"The Health and Wellness Complex is a critical component of Muskingum's academic excellence and of the University's commitment to be a force for positive change in the lives of our students and the life of our surrounding regional communities."
-Dr. Kim Gage Rothermel '71
A PLACE WHERE STUDENTS AND COMMUNITY CONNECT
The complex will increase space for our rapidly growing health sciences, athletics communication, and sport administration programs. It will also feature a fitness center that will overlook the indoor track and outdoor field.
Pictured: Advanced fitness facilities equipped to support total student well-being. The Fitness Center will allow students to integrate workouts with track and field use.
A PLACE WHERE ATHLETES DEVELOP TO THEIR FULL POTENTIAL
Exceptional training and performance facilities will help Muskingum student-athletes develop their physical capacity and skills to their highest potential, with enhanced opportunities for strength and conditioning, sports medicine and rehabilitation, and nutrition and fitness guidance. Our football, lacrosse, soccer, softball, baseball, and track and field teams will now have access to year-round training.
Pictured: Indoor track, turf field, multi-purpose classroom, and seating area.
“The HWC will support recruiting and retention of outstanding student-athletes, whose excellent performance in the classroom, ingrained commitment to teamwork, and service to others enrich Muskingum’s entire learning community. The new training opportunities and performance assessments will help advance the development of our student-athletes and all of our Fighting
Pictured: The Wellness Level's Diagnostic Center - a state-of-the-art collaborative and interdisciplinary clinical learning space designed to support wellness assessments; teaching, learning, and research; healthcare organization partnerships; and community resident healthcare connections.
"It is critical that we as health care educators teach our students how to lead and thrive in team-based and collaborative care models. The HWC will enable us to expand collaborative healthcare education, research, and hands-on clinical experiences, working within the disciplines or on cross-disciplinary teams. The possibilities for collaboration are endless among University departments and with regional healthcare and community organizations."
A PLACE ACCESSIBLE TO ALL
The main entrance to the HWC is at road level and will be fully accessible to persons of all abilities.
Pictured: The updated, accessible entrance to the HWC. The Memorial residence hall is located directly behind the fieldhouse.
Pictured: The HWC fieldhouse, football stands, turf field, track, walkways and dorms behind the fieldhouse.
A PLACE CUSTOM BUILT FOR OUR CAMPUS
The HWC will be built into the existing campus terrain.Pictured: Before and After showing the HWC built into the hill.
The HWC will allow entry and exit from both sides of the complex, as well as preserve existing views from Memorial Hall.
Pictured: The view from the back, north side, of the fieldhouse featuring Memorial Hall.
Pictured: A path between the field house and Memorial Hall will lead to the Walter K. Chess Center and the East Hill residences beyond.
Pictured: A bird's eye view of the HWC, showing the location, proximity to Memorial Hall, pathway to the Chess Center and updated parking and roads leading to the entrance.