ONLINE Reading Endorsement
“WORDS change WORLDS” - Pam Allyn, LitWorld
Learn strategies and instructional skills to open the world of reading to your students.
Why Choose Muskingum’s ONLINE Reading Endorsement?
- Complete the 4-course endorsement in as little as one term
- Courses offered in 2- and 5-week formats
- All courses available ONLINE
- Fieldwork can be completed outside of the classroom to fit your schedule
- Add the endorsement for new career opportunities
- Fill your teaching toolbox with new and innovative approaches to empower your students
- Meets the Ohio Third Grade Reading Guarantee
Hours count toward earning master’s degree at Muskingum
For more information, to ask questions, receive a complementary audit, register or request the Reading Endorsement handbook, please contact Nancy at 740.826.8038 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements for the Reading Endorsement:
Candidates for the Reading Endorsement must document the satisfaction of foundational work in reading at either the undergraduate or graduate level. This work will include work in reading methods (either K-3 or 4-9**), phonics, content area literacy, and reading assessment and intervention. If taken at the graduate level, foundation courses may be used to satisfy the elective requirement of the MAE: Reading Endorsement option. Candidates for the Reading Endorsement will complete a substantial field experience as part of each of the content courses.
To add the endorsement, take the following courses (12 Credit Hours):
- EDUC 660* Foundations of Reading: Pre-K through Grade 12 (3)
- EDUC 661* Teaching Reading Pre-K through 12: Environment, Curriculum, Methods & Materials (3)
- EDUC 662* Advanced Assessment for Literacy Instruction (3)
- EDUC 663* Leadership for Literacy (3)
If you choose, you can complete the Master of Arts in Education by taking the following ONLINE courses (19 Credit Hours):
- EDUC 605 Leading and Learning in a Culture of Change (3)
- EDUC 606 Invitational and Inclusive Education (3)
- EDUC 607 Applications of Educational Research (3)
- EDUC 608* Critical Pedagogy: The Transformational Educator (1)
- EDUC XXX Approved Electives (6)
Choose One of the Following:
- EDUC 700 Research Seminar & Project (3)
- EDUC 705/706 National Board Certification Process (1+2)
- EDUC 710 Practitioner Seminar and Project (3)
*Additional field hours are required
For a complete listing of MAE requirements, policies and procedures please refer to the Graduate Catalog (pdf).
The Reading Endorsement meets all state and national accrediting agency requirements.