The theme for all Muskingum University teacher education programs is “Developing teacher-leaders who encourage, equip and empower all students.”
Muskingum University students seeking teacher licensure must be accepted into the College’s education program. MAP students intending to major in education may take up to 12 semester hours of credit after which they must be admitted to the education program before they can continue to take education courses. Students who have completed approved associate’s degree programs will be admitted upon submission of official transcripts and of qualifying test scores. Others may be admitted upon proof of a satisfactory cumulative grade point average, submission of qualifying scores on the ACT, SAT or Praxis I basic skills tests, successful completion of EDUC 110 (or its equivalent) and submission of the statement of good moral character, as defined by the State of Ohio.
Consult the education department website for more information. The Education Department's Application to Teacher Education can be found on the departments Resources page.
Early Childhood Education (minimum 69 semester hours for major)
- EDUC 110* Introduction to Education (3) or EDUC 500*(MAP- EDUC 112*)
- EDUC 112* Educational Implications of Diversity (3) or EDUC 500*(MAP- EDUC 112*)
- EDUC 215 Educational Psychology (3)
- EDUC 220** Math Content for ECED/SPED (3)
- EDUC 309* Early Childhood Education and Curriculum (3)
- EDUC 315 The Arts in Early Childhood (3)
- EDUC 316 Children’s Literature (3)
- EDUC 330* Serving Individuals with Exceptionalities (3)
- EDUC 334* Family-Centered Practices (3)
- EDUC 335 Educational Technology (3)
- EDUC 341* Assessment in Education (3)
- EDUC 362* Integrating Language Arts and Social Studies in Early Childhood (3)
- EDUC 366* Mathematics in Early Childhood Education (3)
- EDUC 367* Science in Early Primary Education (3)
- EDUC 370 Phonics and the Process of Reading (3)
- EDUC 371* Emergent and Beginning Reading (3)
- EDUC 382* Social Studies Methods for Middle Childhood Educators (3)
- EDUC 413* Reading in the Content Areas (3)
- EDUC 414* Reading Assessment and Intervention (3)
- EDUC 555* Proactive Approaches to Classroom Management (3)
- PSYC 220* Preschool Practicum (1)
MAP Students take the following:
- EDUC 623 Clinical Practice in Early Childhood Education (8)
- EDUC 627.3 Clinical Practice & Professional Portfolio Development Seminar (3)
*Additional field hours are required.
**EDUC 220 is not required for students transferring in a math course.
Admission to the teacher education program is the prerequisite for all EDUC 300 and higher level courses. Students seeking teacher licensure must complete the EDUC 300 and higher level courses with a grade of a B- or higher.
Note: Talk to your advisor about other degree requirements.
For a complete listing of MAP requirements, policies and procedures please refer to the Muskingum Adult Program Guidebook(pdf).
Potential Career Outcomes:
Kindergarten and Elementary School Teacher
Childcare Center Director