2021-2021 Degree Requirements
Three undergraduate degrees are offered. Majors in nursing receive the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN). Qualified adult undergraduate degree completers earn the Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in six health-related majors (Community Health and Wellness, Healthcare Management, Health Science, Medical Laboratory Studies, Occupational Science, and Sport and Fitness Science), in three business-related majors (Business Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management), and in the information systems major offered through the Muskingum Adult Program (MAP). Adult degree completion students should refer to the MAP Guidebook to learn more about the admission requirements for these programs. Traditional undergraduate students majoring in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Conservation Science, Earth Science, Engineering Science, Environmental Science, Geology*, Mathematics, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience, Petroleum Geology, Physics, Physics Education, or Psychology will also receive the Bachelor of Science degree. All other majors are awarded the Bachelor of Arts (BA).
*There is a track available for students majoring in Geology to earn a BA degree. All undergraduate degrees require fulfillment of the following:
1. A minimum of 124 credit hours for the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science Degree; 127 for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (a minimum of 124 for the RN to BSN). A maximum of 48 credit hours in any one discipline may be included in this total. In the case of courses of study leading to teacher licensure, the ACS-certified chemistry major, the Athletic Training major, the Engineering Science major, and the music major, the student may apply up to the minimum credit hours required for the major toward the 124 for graduation. A maximum of three physical education activities courses, three language tables, and ten music ensembles may apply within the 124 hours.
2. A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 for all work taken at Muskingum University; a minimum GPA of 2.0 for all courses in the major(s) and, where the option is taken, a minimum GPA of 2.0 for the minor(s).
3. A minimum of 40 credit hours earned in 300- and 400-level courses.
4. Satisfactory completion of at least one departmental or interdisciplinary major. All work within the specified discipline is counted as part of the major or minor. In the case of students pursuing multiple majors or minors in the same department, the GPA for each is calculated separately; an overall GPA of 2.0 in the academic discipline must be maintained. (Students pursuing multiple majors may write separate senior seminars, one in each of the disciplines involved, or with approval of each department chair, write one interdisciplinary seminar, credit for which is given in the department of their choice. Although the interdisciplinary seminar counts toward the credit hour requirements of only one major, the project may fulfill the senior studies requirement of all departments involved.)
5. At least 12 credit hours of the major completed in the junior and senior years at Muskingum.
6. The last 31 credit semester hours toward graduation must be earned as a degree-seeking student at Muskingum University or in approved off-campus study.
7. Transfer students must successfully complete a minimum of 32 credit hours at Muskingum University (includes approved off-campus study programs).
Note: Muskingum adheres to the Ohio Board of Regents Transfer and Articulation Policy. Requirements for some programs may require a higher grade for transfer. For further information, transfer students need to consult the Transfer Admission information in the Admission section of this catalog.
8. Satisfactory completion of the General Education Requirements. All transfer students, including adult degree completers, should consult the Transfer Admission information in the Admission section of this catalog for more information about the transfer module.