Student Accounts


Student Account Frequently Asked Questions

When can I get a refund?

If you have a credit balance on your account after the payment of all university charges, you can request a refund or to have a portion of the credit transferred to Muskie Bucks. This cannot be done before the end of the Add/Drop period. Refund Request forms are available in the Business Office or may be downloaded here. The form must be signed and returned to the Business Office to process the refund. We cannot honor requests by phone.

Can I use my financial aid or loans to buy books?

If you have financial aid in excess of your Muskingum charges, we can transfer funds to your Muskie Bucks for use in the bookstore. We can do this transfer at the start of school. To make the transfer, we need a Transfer Request form, which must be signed and returned to the Business Office. You can fax the form to 740-826-8196.

Why isn't my Direct, PLUS or Alternative Loan reflected on my bill?

Most Stafford and PLUS loans and some Alternative Loans to now show as pending aid on your statement. Funds are disbursed at or near the start of the term. If your loans are not shown, it may be that some required documentation has not been completed. It is important that you complete all documentation with Financial Aid. Failure to do this timely will delay funding and may result in late fees.

Alternative loans that are not processed through our Financial Aid Office may not appear as pending aid on your statement. These will be subtracted from your balance when the funds are received by the University. All late payment processing fees and consequences may still apply until the funds are received. It is important to apply for any loans early enough to allow for processing and disbursement of your loan (at least 2 weeks when applying online, more for mail-in applications).

What happens if I don't pay my bill on time?

Accounts not paid within the payment schedule are subject to a monthly late payment process fee and may be assessed other charges. Refer to the Student Billing Information page for more information.

Students whose accounts are delinquent will not be permitted to register for their courses, receive transcripts of their records, or participate in graduation.  A student who wishes to transfer credits to another institution must pay in full all indebtedness to Muskingum University before a transcript will be released.

Students whose accounts are delinquent after payment dates will be informed that their course registration and housing could be withdrawn for the upcoming semester.  Students whose accounts are brought current after these dates prior to registration day will be permitted to re-register for courses.  There is no guarantee that there will be space available in the classes or residence halls that were originally requested.

Why isn't there an insurance charge on my bill? 

Beginning in 2013, changes to health insurance from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) made the cost of the insurance program previously offered to full-time undergraduates prohibitively expensive, so the University has ceased this program.

Many students will be able to obtain coverage on their parents insurance through the age of 26. Students can also purchase insurance independently from many insurance agents. Certain independent students and families with lower income may qualify for Ohio Medicaid.

The University still offers an insurance plan to its international students. The international plan complies with INS requirements. All international students are required to purchase the insurance. Information about the program and instructions on completing the waiver are available on the Student Health Insurance page.

Form 1098-T

These forms are available on MuskieLink from the Students menu. To access the form, you must first agree to the consent statement (in the link directly above the 1098-T link). You can later change this decision if you like. We will mail a hard copy of the form during the last week of January to all those who have not given consent for the electronic copy. If you have any questions, you can reach the Business Office at

Using a Form 1098-T for your taxes is complicated. We have an article to help but you should always consult your tax advisor and can refer to the IRS publication.

Back to top