After a week of rehearsals and musical study, the Summer High School Music Theatre CAMP will culminate in a musical theatre performance at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 29 in Muskingum University’s Caldwell Hall. The performance is free and open to the public. There is ample parking and the facility is handicap accessible. A “Greet the Performers” reception will follow in the Caldwell Hall Atrium.
More than 30 students in grades 9-12 from 15 different schools will be featured in the annual performance. To prepare, the students participated in a week of musical training, including daily dance classes, private voice instruction, acting sessions with improvisation, master classes, and scene study. In the evenings, participants enjoyed fun activities such as square dancing, swimming, and movie musicals.
The CAMP staff is led by CAMP Director Carol Wilcox Jones, Muskingum University artist-in-residence, ret., and co-directors Todd Schreiber of Whiteford Schools in Michigan, Amy Leacock of Upper Arlington Schools in Ohio, Belinda Andrews-Smith of Denison University, and Robert O. Jones, Muskingum University emeritus music professor.
Members of the large professional staff also include:
- Richard Earley, choreographer;
- Caroline Heading, accompanist;
- Cole Coulter, CAMP counselor;
- Kayela Roberson, CAMP counselor;
- Clara Warner, CAMP counselor;
- John Warner, CAMP counselor;
- and Rick Roberson, technical staff.
All staff members wear multiple hats and fill various roles including scenes direction throughout the week.
Campers performing in the 2019 Summer Music Theatre CAMP include the following:
- Buckeye Trail High School in Ohio: Cameron Hess and Kathryn Williams;
- Cambridge High School in Ohio: Taylor Daugherty and Randall Forshey;
- Claymont High School in Ohio: Liliana Conn and Peyton Smith;
- Coshocton High School in Ohio: Sarah Heading, Hailey Logan and Anna Richcreek;
- Flat Rock Community High School in Michigan: Caelan Hunt;
- Gahanna Lincoln High School in Ohio: Colin Smith;
- John Glenn High School in Ohio: Molly Beetem and Megan Morrow;
- Johnstown Monroe High School in Ohio: Eathan Alm, Lillian Brooks, Aries Catalogna, Andrew Cox, Andrew Dennis, Madison Engelbert, Parker Engelbert, Alicia First, Kelli Grunkemeyer, Will Lewis, Bailee Linger, Ryan Schmechel, Kate Sparhawk, Heather Stump, Aiden Veerjee, and Corey West;
- Lakewood High School in Ohio: Jacob Coffey;
- Licking Valley High School in Ohio: Mirella Burghy;
- Meadowbrook High School in Ohio: Kaid Arnold and Kaylee Smith;
- New Lexington High School in Ohio: Aiden Nicholson;
- River View High School in Ohio: Ruthie Cameron;
- Washington High School in Washington Court House, Ohio: Analese Mitson and Brooklynn Stanley;
- and from West Holmes High School in Ohio: Carolyn Rohr.
Music Theatre CAMP has been recognized and supported in part by the Ohio Arts Council which helped to fund this program to encourage educational excellence, cultural enrichment, and economic growth.
For more information, contact Director, Carol Jones at 740-826-6210, or the Music Department at 740-826-8095. Visit the CAMP’s website.