Muskingum University's Doctor of Applied Leadership Program
Muskingum University's Doctor of Applied Leadership Degree (DAL) is a fully accredited online program for those who have successfully completed a 30 hour master's degree in any area of study. (Learn more about admission here)
The purpose of the DAL program at Muskingum University is to prepare graduates to become top-level leaders in a broad array of organizations.
Muskingum's DAL program can help you develop the knowledge and skills to make you a more effective leader whatever your organization or sector.
The DAL is a professional doctorate designed to help leaders apply evidence-based research to solve real-world problems, while a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) is designed for those who seek to pursue pure research or a full-time academic career. The professional doctorate and the Ph.D. are considered terminal degrees, meaning they are the highest degrees in one's field.
Students in the DAL program are partnered with mentors who are professionals in the student's chosen field. The mentors meet with their mentees throughout the program to help them apply what they are learning in the classroom to their real-world organizations and careers.
- 60 semester hours (view curriculum)
- Taught by highly qualified instructors from across the University
- 100% online with blended synchronous (Zoom) and asynchronous formats
- Individual mentors
- Average time to complete: 3-5 years
- Developing one's own approach to leadership
- Applying various research methodologies
- Leading people toward meeting an organization's vision
- Meeting organizational goals and stakeholder expectations
- Making decisions that create high-quality results
- Strategically managing human, financial, and temporal resources
- Building internal and external coalitions
- Developing ethical and positive organizational cultures
- Effectively responding to crisis and leading in complexity
- Creating internal and external strategic change
- Building inclusive and equitable organizations
- Fostering cooperation, teamwork, and successful resolution of conflict
Students will be expected to develop and demonstrate the fundamental competencies of extraordinary leadership throughout the program, including:
- Treating others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect while considering and responding appropriately to the needs and feelings of diverse people in different situations
- Behaving in an honest, fair, and ethical manner; showing consistency in words and actions; and modeling high standards of ethics
- Making clear and convincing oral presentations; listening effectively; and clarifying information as needed
- Writing in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for an intended audience
- Displaying a commitment to serve the common good
- Assessing and recognize their own strengths and weaknesses while pursuing their self-development