Sociology Student Opportunities
Recent internships for Sociology students include:
- Cleveland Municipal Court
- Economic Development/City Planning, Village of Caldwell, Ohio
- Human Resources, City of Zanesville
- Ecotourism - Wild Zipline Safari, Cumberland, Ohio
- Forever Dads - Center for Fathers and Families, Zanesville, Ohio
- Foster Care - Guernsey County Child and Family Services
- Franklin County Child and Family Services
- Co-Op Dayton - Gem City Market - Community organizing
- YMCA and Camp O'Bannon
- Angel Paws and Breaking Free Therapeutic Riding Center
- Area 9 Agency on Aging
- Hospice of Guernsey Inc.
Research and Professional Activities
All majors work on a senior seminar project, with many choosing to work with sociological data. Sociology professors work closely with students doing research in a number of areas, both in the field and in the lab.
- Dr. Sandra Schroer works with students on qualitative studies.
- Majors are encouraged to present at professional conferences and to publish their own work in various places.
- Graduate, Ellen Hine, participated in the summer 2009 Muskie Fellows program, compiling and analyzing research data from field work in nineteenth century cemeteries in the New Concord area under the direction of Dr. Schroer, Professor of Sociology.
In the past, sociology students have traveled with faculty to domestic professional conferences and to international locations such as India.
This is a picture from the 2022 Sociology students' trip to a professional conference in Indianapolis.
The Sociology department employs two students each year to assist department faculty and staff.
Career Possibilities for Sociology Majors
- Criminal Justice
- Human Services
- Social Science Research
Recent Sociology graduates have enrolled in the following:
- Case Western Reserve
- Miami University
- Ohio University
- Oxford University in England
- University of Colorado