Chemistry is the central science. You will have the opportunity to discover the ways that mathematics, physics, engineering, biology, and medicine help us explain phenomena in the natural world and face the challenges of the future. You will develop strong critical thinking skills, lab skills, and oral and written communication skills, while studying the wonders and joys of chemistry.
- Independent laboratory research experiences during senior capstone project, working one-on-one with faculty in the lab
- Communication proficiency earned through the progression of courses
- Hands-on, in-depth experiences running a variety of modern instrumentation and research equipment
- Collaborative faculty and an interdisciplinary curriculum cover the five key areas of chemistry: physical, analytical, inorganic, organic, and biochemistry
- American Chemical Society certification, an honor earned by only about 20% of the colleges and universities in the United States
- Excellent history in students securing summer fellowships and internships, including the National Science Foundation Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates, the Muskie Fellowship program, and many academic research labs
Our students have an outstanding placement record immediately after graduation, with 100% of chemistry majors gaining admission to graduate and professional schools, or gaining employment in chemical and other technology industries.
Recent graduates have successfully gone on to complete medical, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, physician’s assistant, physical therapy, and graduate school programs.
Graduates have gone on to find employment at Eli Lilly, PPG, Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Westward Chemicals, Toyota Motor Corporation, and EPA labs.