Our major in Organizational Communication prepares you to apply communication performance and analytical skills within business and organizational structures. As organizations grow ever-more complex, multiple communication platforms and techniques are essential for effective business management and operation.
You will gain a thorough theoretical and practical understanding of these strategies and how to apply them, of interpersonal and small group communication dynamics, and methods for delivering communication to targeted audiences.
Practical project courses will develop your understanding of organizational hierarchy, of the complex nature of human communication, and of the role proactive communication plays in the organizational environment.
Orbit Media – our student-run FM-radio station, cable TV access channel, and newspaper – along with our intercollegiate Forensics Team and our Theatre Department productions provide multiple opportunities to further expand your skills and explore your interests in oral communication, communication technology, and production.
- Original research in your area of interest: partner with faculty members to explore new aspects of the organizational communication field and its role in the business world.
- Internship opportunities with businesses and non-profit organizations, and media.
- Participate in networking events, workshops, seminars, conferences, and national competitions presented by key professional organizations in the organizational communications field.
- Hands-on media production experience in our Orbit Media outlets: WMCO 90.7 class A 1.32 KW FM radio station, Orbit TV Channel 9 cable access television channel, and Black & Magenta newspaper.
- Intercollegiate Forensics Team competitions with other university students in Ohio and across the country.
- Stage performance and production experience through our Theatre Department.
You will enter the workforce ready to contribute your organizational communication abilities to real-world needs and practical problems. Our graduates find employment in business and non-profit organizations in a wide variety of fields and organizational settings.