About General Engineering
The General Engineering program includes a broad background in electrical and mechanical engineering and builds on this foundation with aspects of computational science, material science and physics. Students gain experience in designing, implementing and reporting on real-world projects. A degree in General Engineering is well-suited to meet the rapidly changing needs and opportunities in engineering and science related career fields.
- To prepare our students to be successful graduate students and professionals.
- To provide our students with a broad background in math and science, strong analytical and technical skills, an ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, a commitment to lifelong learning, and the knowledge and skills necessary to function as ethical professionals and engaged citizens.
- To engage in scholarly and professional activity that increases our knowledge of science and education and enriches the experiences of our students.
- To support the mission and initiatives of the University as well as contribute our expertise to the service of the campus community and the region.
- To have a reputation for producing successful graduates.
- To be a program of choice among our peer institutions and in the region.
- To be recognized for our quality programs, facilities, and faculty.
- To be known for our strong ties with industry and the community.
Students who graduate from this program will have:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgement to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
- An ability to compete for entry-level engineering positions in industry or engineering student positions in graduate school.
Program Educational Objectives
Graduates of the General Engineering, Physics, and Physics Education programs offered by the Department of Physics & Engineering at Muskingum University will:
- Engage in life-long learning.
- Be effective communicators.
- Be effective team members and leaders.
- Apply their education to diverse fields.
- Be successful professionals.
- Be socially engaged citizens.