Microsoft 365 Homepage
Welcome to the home for information regarding Microsoft 365
This website is the home for information regarding Microsoft 365. If you have any questions, please feel to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 740-826-8050.
The link for Microsoft 365 is: https://portal.office.com
When logging in for the first time, you should change your password and configure Self Service Password Reset (SSPR). Both are required and should be done as soon as possible.
To change your password:
- Log into Microsoft 365
- Click on the gear icon (Settings) at the top of the page near your initials
- Click on "Change your password"
The password requirements are:
- At least 8 characters long and must contain at least one character from at least 3 of the 4 following types of characters:
- Upper case
- Lower case
- Special characters
It is recommended not to use any actual words/names in your password, as the system may reject the password as too easy to guess.
This password will be your password for Microsoft 365, Blackboard, MuskieLink, Self-Service and other Muskingum resources.
Authentication Methods for Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) and Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR):
To use MFA or SSPR, you need to first set up alternate authentication methods (text messages, phone calls, Microsoft Authenticator app). It is HIGHLY recommended that you set up as many methods as possible.
To add authentication methods:
- Log into your Microsoft 365 account
- Click on your initials or picture on the top right corner of the web page
- Click on "View Account"
- Click on "Security Info"
- Click on "Add sign-in method" to configure the methods available to contact you when logging into your account. You can set up as many methods as you would like.
Plain Text Instructions for installing the Microsoft Authenticator app can be found here
What can I do about messages going into the Junk Email folder?
Messages can be either marked as "Not Junk" or the email address/email domain can be added to the Safe Senders List
- Not Junk - Message is moved to the Inbox
- Safe Senders List - Message from the email address (e.g., email@example.com) or email domain (e.g., muskingum.edu) will not be put into the Junk Folder again.
For Desktop Outlook:
- Right Click on the email message in the Junk Email folder and go the "Junk" dropdown
- Click on "Not Junk" OR
- Click on "Never Block Sender" OR
- Click on "Never Block Sender's Domain"
For Microsoft 365 on the web:
- Click on Settings (looks like a gear)
- Search for "Safe Senders"
- Click on the "+ Add" button and either add an email address or domain that you want to make as safe.
You can move any folder, including Junk Email, into your Favorites so that it shows up in the "Favorites" area at the top of the list of your folders. To do this, right-click on the folder and select "Add to Favorites".
How do I see the email address, not just the "real" name of the Sender in Outlook?
- Computer and Web - Open the message and hover for several seconds over the "real name" of the sender. A window that will have details about the sender should pop up.
- Mobile (phone/tablet) - Open the message and then tap on the "real name" of the sender. Their email address should then be displayed under their name.
How do I read email on my mobile device?
We recommend downloading Microsoft Outlook if you want to read your email on a mobile device (smartphone, tablet...). You can find this in the App Store for your device.
For most Settings changes, you will need to change the setting in each application where you view your email/calendar (Web, Mobile, Desktop).
Where can I find Settings in the Mobile App and on the Web?
- Mobile - Tap the icon at the top left of the screen then tap on the gear (Settings)
- Web - Log into 365, open Outlook, click on the gear (Settings) on the page (top right)
Here are two settings for which we have received the most change requests:
- "Focused Inbox separates your inbox into two tabs—Focused and Other. Your most important email messages are on the Focused tab while the rest remain easily accessible—but out of the way—on the Other tab." By default, the Focused Inbox is enabled for your email accounts. You can disable this in Settings. For the desktop version of Outlook, you can find this setting in the View tab.
- Conversation view - All of the messages within the same thread are all listed together, sorted by date. The other option is to view each message individually. This can also be disabled in Settings, also on the View tab in the desktop version of Outlook
Logging into Muskingum resources
To log into your Microsoft 365 account, you will need to use your entire email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). To log into any other Muskingum electronic resources (e.g. Blackboard and MuskieLink), you will use your Username (e.g. jsmith1). The password you set in Microsoft 365 will be the password for your Muskingum electronic accounts.
Check out additional online documentation here