Muskingum University invites applications for the position of Staff Accountant. This position is responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the general ledger, maintaining and posting routine closing entries, and supporting the Senior Accountant and the Controller with accounting items. This position serves as the back-up for payroll and Student Accounts.
- Maintain the general ledger and manage standard monthly journal entries:
- Calculate and post routine monthly journal entries
- Work with departments to ensure that allocations are correct
- Post banking related entries and maintain the cash sheet
- Calculate and post investment related entries
- Balance General Ledger/payroll (coordinating with payroll)
- Maintain knowledge of up-to-date payroll processes to ensure seamless backup of the payroll process, as needed
- Provide coverage for the Student Accounts desk, as needed
- Balance all employee benefit contributions against benefit statements
- Support the Controller and the Sr. Accountant by managing general ledger account reconciliations and journal entries.
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the major functions of the position and should not be considered a complete description of the essential functions of the position. This Job Description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will be assigned by the immediate supervisor to perform other duties as needed or to perform other related duties, including special projects.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft 365 products, particularly Excel and Word.
- Excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must include a letter of interest, a resume, and 3 professional references. The list of references should include each reference's email address, phone number, and a brief description of your relationship to the reference. Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com or faxed to 740-826-6131. Please include the position title in the subject line of your correspondence. This position will remain open until filled, with review of candidates to begin immediately.
Muskingum University actively seeks out and welcomes administrators and staff who are committed to excellence in student learning, consider the engagement of diverse communities in the University’s educational programs and activities, and are committed to full inclusivity at the University. As an equal opportunity employer, Muskingum welcomes applications from individuals from populations, which have been historically underrepresented in higher education and/or have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
Muskingum University does not discriminate in its employment or educational programs or activities. Please visit https://www.muskingum.edu/non-discrimination-statement to review the university’s official non-discrimination statement.