Reference and Instruction Librarian
Muskingum University’s Roberta A. Smith University Library has an immediate opening for a Reference & Instruction Librarian to forge strong learning connections with students, faculty, and the university community. This is an entry-level, 11-month, administrative appointment, with the faculty rank of assistant professor. Start date within the fall semester is desired.
The successful candidate will place a strong focus on teaching the information literacy and critical thinking abilities required by the undergraduate curriculum, including teaching the 3-credit hour Beyond Google: Research Skills and Resources course and providing course-integrated library instruction. In addition to teaching, the successful candidate will respond to reference questions, provide individual research consultations, prepare customized online guides as appropriate (using LibGuides), and build or expand skills in cataloguing.
- Provide quality reference services utilizing virtual reference and other products, including chat, LibGuides, and Teams video consultations
- Provide effective instruction in a 3-credit research course
- Provide effective library instruction across campus in response to faculty requests and needs
- Participate in collection development through materials evaluation and ordering
- Help maintain and design new LibGuides
- Actively participate in faculty governance and as a member of campus committees
- Maintain active presence within the OPAL and OhioLINK library consortia
- ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS (or the equivalent)
- Relevant experience in providing reference assistance and/or relevant coursework
- Teaching experience, including information literacy instruction
- Prior experience with cataloging is highly valued
Muskingum University, a comprehensive university with a strong liberal arts tradition, is located just seventy miles east of Columbus, Ohio, in the village of New Concord. Founded in 1837, the university’s total undergraduate, graduate, and adult-learner student population is approximately 3,000. The university actively seeks out and welcomes faculty and staff who are committed to excellence in teaching and student learning, thrive in a collaborative environment of scholars, embrace experiential learning, consider the engagement of diverse communities in the educational experience, and desire to mentor a multicultural student population. As an equal opportunity employer, Muskingum welcomes applications from individuals from populations which have been historically underrepresented in the academy and/or have meaningful experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
To apply, send the following to email@example.com, with “Reference & Instruction Search” in the subject line:
- Letter of application addressing the above-stated qualities and qualifications sought by the university
- A curriculum vitae or resume outlining educational and professional experience
- Graduate transcripts.
- List of three professional references with contact information and relationship to applicant.
Review of applications will begin on September 10 and will continue until the position is filled.
Appointment to this position is conditional upon the successful completion of a background check through the University’s background check agency.
The university actively seeks out and welcomes faculty and staff who are committed to excellence in teaching and student learning, thrive in a collaborative environment of scholars, embrace experiential learning, consider the engagement of diverse communities in the educational experience, and desire to mentor a multicultural student population. As an equal opportunity employer, Muskingum welcomes applications from individuals from populations which have been historically underrepresented in the academy and/or have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
Muskingum University does not discriminate in its employment or educational programs or activities. Please visit https://www.muskingum.edu/non-discrimination-statement to review the university’s official non-discrimination statement.