Human Resources Manager for Benefits and Employee Relations
Muskingum University invites applications for the newly reorganized position of Human Resources Manager for Benefits and Employee Relations. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Human Relations and Risk Management, this position will be responsible for managing the University’s programs for benefits, workplace safety, employee development, and performance evaluation.
Immediate priorities for this position include evaluating operations to increase efficiency in benefits administration and creation of a professional development program that includes both University-wide and position-specific objectives. Day-to-day responsibilities will include the following:
- Day-to-day administration of all employee benefits including, but not limited to, health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, retirement plans, flexible spending account, and 125 plan.
- In consultation with appropriate administrators, reviews, researches, and negotiates employee benefits programs.
- Manages IRS and Department of Labor compliance including federal 403(b) and 457(b) tax deferred limits, maximum contribution calculations and compliance, annual discrimination testing, and excess contribution testing.
- Maintains plan documents and summary plan descriptions, annual 5500’s, federal summary annual reports, etc.
- Maintains and audits self-funded workers compensation plan, including State of Ohio compliance, orientation, policies, records, and cost control.
- Coordinates Medicare Prescriptions subsidy to the University including, but not limited to, applications, monthly entries, quarterly subsidy requests for Medicare Part D, and prescription and enrollment eligibility.
- Meets with job applicants to explain benefits program and answer questions.
- Participates in efficient and effective on-boarding process regarding benefits enrollment.
- Tracks eligibility and mandatory enrollment and processes enrollment and change forms to all benefit plans.
- Provides timely tracking of bills and invoices and forwards for payment.
- Provides accounting and comparison of vendor bills to enrollment date.
- Reconciles retiree and COBRA coupons and payments.
- Provides responsive customer support to employee concerns and questions.
- Administers COBRA; distributes original letter; provides notification to eligible employees and families.
Professional Development and Performance Evaluations
- Develops and manages an annual Performance Evaluation Program. Faculty performance evaluations will be developed and managed in consultation with the provost.
- Oversees 60-day probationary performance appraisals.
- Provides training to supervisors to maintain consistency in the Performance Evaluation Program.
- Provides training to employees to assist with their self-evaluation efforts.
- Develops and manages a Professional Development Program, consisting of both mandatory and optional training opportunities for all personnel.
- Monitors employee compliance with the Professional Development Program both as needed and as part of the Performance Evaluation Program.
- Coordinates with other human resources professionals and/or appropriate administrators regarding the impact of the Performance Evaluation Program on individual employees.
- Coordinates the University’s workplace safety plan in compliance with federal and state workplace safety laws and regulations.
- Organizes and leads quarterly meetings of the University’s Safety Committee.
- Maintains all official documentation of the Safety Committee.
- Maintains records of University-wide or department-specific safety standards and reports.
- Receives reports of workplace injuries and manages the University’s response, including worker’s compensation.
- Ensures compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations, including but not limited to OSHA, FMLA, ADA/504, and HIPPA.
- Receives notice of employee needs for FMLA or other extended leave.
- Manages the University’s documentation and response to FMLA and other extended leave requests.
- Receives notice of employee requests for accommodations.
- Determines the reasonableness of accommodations requested by an employee and collects and maintains all documentation.
- Drafts memoranda to update senior leadership regarding compliance issues.
Communications and Record-Keeping
- Collects and maintains all legal personnel data.
- Controls content in and access to personnel files, enters data into electronic personnel system, and runs reports as needed.
- Proposes new or amended policies to the Assistant Vice President for Human Relations and Risk Management as needed.
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the major functions of the position and should not be considered a complete description of the essential functions of the position. This Job Description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will be assigned by the immediate supervisor to perform other duties within the Human Resources Office as needed or to perform other reasonable related duties, including special projects.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- BA required in human resources, business administration, or similar field of study.
- 3 years of experience working with an organization’s benefits program.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws and regulations.
- Proven ability to provide reasonable accommodations and to coordinate FMLA leave.
- Prior experience implementing a professional development program.
- Knowledge of workplace safety laws and programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including oral and written communication.
- Ability to maintain the strictest confidence and avoid conflicts of interest.
- Possess strong analytical skills and be detail oriented.
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources, MBA, or other similar area of study.
- SHRM or HRCI certification preferred.
- 2 years' experience working with 403(b) retirement plans.
Applications must include a cover letter describing the candidate’s experience in relation to the stated job responsibilities, a resume, a list of 3 professional references, and a salary request to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line of your email. This position will remain open until filled; however, priority consideration will be given to those who apply prior to May 14, 2021.
The university actively seeks out and welcomes faculty and staff who are committed to excellence in teaching and student learning, thrive in a collaborative environment of scholars, embrace experiential learning, consider the engagement of diverse communities in the educational experience, and desire to mentor a multicultural student population. As an equal opportunity employer, Muskingum welcomes applications from individuals from populations which have been historically underrepresented in the academy and/or have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
Muskingum University does not discriminate in its employment or educational programs or activities. Please visit https://www.muskingum.edu/non-discrimination-statement to review the university’s official non-discrimination statement.