Director of Strategic Communication & Marketing
Muskingum University is seeking a dynamic, creative and strategic-thinking individual to lead its Communication & Marketing office as Director. The Director of Strategic Communication and Marketing will develop and implement successful integrated communication and marketing strategies, in coordination with key stakeholders throughout the institution, that help advance the University's reputation, visibility, and public identity. This position serves as the University’s chief spokesperson and media relations lead, manages the adoption, integration and alignment of the University’s brand, and provides oversight of, and strategic counsel to, the creation of materials or collateral that represent Muskingum. The person in this role will also lead the Office of Communication & Marketing staff. While reporting directly to the Vice President for Enrollment & Marketing (VPEM), the Director will coordinate at the strategic and tactical levels with the Enrollment and Advancement divisions, the President’s Office, and the campus community.
The Director will be expected to:
* Lead efforts to elevate the university’s profile and broaden its visibility and brand within the campus communities as well as with national, and regional news media, prospective students and their families, alumni, benefactors and other key university stakeholders.
* Serve as a trusted advisor and strategic partner to the President and Senior Leadership Team meeting regularly to provide guidance and counsel on issues and opportunities related to strategic communication planning and integrated marketing strategies.
* Work closely the Vice President for Enrollment and the Vice President for Advancement on developing, implementing and advancing a comprehensive strategic communication plan.
* Provide effective leadership to the communication and marketing staff by nurturing and developing talent; setting expectations and providing clear direction; and fostering a supportive, team-oriented environment of continuous improvement. The Director will be passionate about providing professional development opportunities, enabling the staff to grow within the office.
* Plan for success and achieve determined outcomes by regularly reevaluating communication/marketing practices and policies and recalibrating as necessary to position the team for success. The Director will regularly gather and analyze important feedback, data points and research to inform decision-making and shape the direction of targeted institutional efforts.
* Guide the development and implementation of strategies and activities that enhance the university’s visibility, promote and protect its brand and reputation and ensure strategic alignment among all internal and external communications deployed via all digital and print platforms and channels.
The successful candidate will also provide:
* Vision and leadership: Ability to lead with vision and creativity; an entrepreneurial outlook and eye to new possibilities and emerging challenges; an ability to build and motivate a team.
* Creativity: Proven success in innovative thinking and risk taking combined with excellent execution of strategies and initiatives; ability to execute with close attention to the needs of the university and the match between it and its potential opportunities; ability to think creatively and to leverage technology; and an ability to balance the values of the university with forward-thinking approaches.
* Superior communication skills: Engaging speaker, strong writer and active listener who will communicate effectively with all constituencies, including prospective students and their families, other administrative departments, faculty, alumni and the external community.
* Collaboration and management: Enthusiasm for shared ideas and teamwork toward institutional goals; ability to manage and motivate an enthusiastic and successful professional staff; set clear direction and articulate goals and expectations for excellence and achievement; ability to manage up and down, with commitment to training and encouraging staff toward growth and professional success.
* Strong personal qualities: Sense of urgency and engagement; honesty, integrity, and a strong moral compass; genuine interest in forming a team with staff and college leaders; ability to observe, listen, learn and clarify needs while developing trust among various constituencies; ability to travel regionally and nationally as needed.
* A bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred).
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a list of references to: Kathy Moore, Human Resources Manager; Muskingum University, 163 Stormont St., New Concord, OH 43762. Materials can also be faxed to 740-826-6131 or sent electronically to email@example.com. Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Muskingum University is an equal opportunity employer.