Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: A successful Director of Annual and Leadership Giving will be an innovative, collaborative and results-oriented individual. The Director is responsible for the leadership, execution and growth of Muskingum’s $1M+ annual giving program (unrestricted & restricted). This includes oversight, management, and growth of the Muskingum Society, the University’s leadership giving program of $1,000+ annual donors. Current annual and leadership giving practices include direct mail, phone, electronic communications, and personal visits as well as annual events and stewardship activities. The Director of Annual and Leadership Giving is part of a team that includes the Sr Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving and the Associate Vice President for Advancement Operations and will also work closely with the other areas of the advancement division including major gifts and data management.
- Under the direction of the Sr. Director of Alumni Engagement & Annual Giving, coordinate and implement alumni activities to include but not limited to events, campus visits, virtual/digital engagement, and Reunion Weekend at Homecoming
- In coordination with Sr. Director, lead and administer effective awards component of alumni program, including Distinguished Service Award and Emerging Alumni Award
- Engage alumni and friends in targeted geographic areas through special events, virtual engagement opportunities, and other high-value programming
- Recruit, train, & support alumni volunteers to achieve program goals and objectives
- In collaboration with Sr. Director and VP, develop and implement a written master plan and calendar for all phases of annual and leadership giving
- Direct and implement a comprehensive, year-long annual giving solicitation strategy, including direct mail, e-mail, social media, phone, personal visitation, and volunteer engagement
- Lead and implement a comprehensive donor stewardship and recognition plan
- Coordinate team effort to raise the revenue required to attain established annual fundraising goals
- Manage and expand the Muskingum Society, including personal solicitation, coordination of events, communications, & stewardship activities
- Identify, cultivate, and personally solicit annual donors who have the inclination and capacity to join the Muskingum Society
- Plan and execute annual Day of Giving social media fundraising campaign on Founder’s Day March 18th
- Coordinate and implement homecoming reunion giving program
- Develop and initiate student giving program
- Update and manage phonathon program, including supervision of phonathon student workers
- Manage the University’s online fundraising platform, GiveCampus
- Work with Marketing and Communications Division to ensure a dynamic annual giving presence in University’s marketing/communication efforts such as the Update, the Magenta Lines eNewsletter, Facebook (and other social media platforms), and website
- Produce and analyze reports to monitor annual giving revenue, expenses and activity
- Oversight of Columbarium sales and stewardship of Columbarium donors
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the major functions of the position and should not be considered a complete description of the essential functions of the position. It is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will perform other reasonable related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
SKILLS/REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION:
➢ Practical knowledge of annual giving and alumni engagement operations and an understanding of what it takes to expand donor and prospect participation
➢ Excellent written and verbal communication skills
➢ Excellent project management, organizational and planning skills
➢ Strong interpersonal skills to relate with top annual fund donors, across generations, both in-person and over the phone
➢ Ability to interface cross-functionally across departments and to collaborate effectively with a team
➢ Self-starter with initiative to innovate and follow through
➢ Strong technology skills including social media, database, and all Microsoft Office applications
➢ Confidentiality regarding constituent information
➢ Bachelor’s degree is required, and at least 3 years job related experience in annual giving and/or alumni engagement is preferred
An equal opportunity employer, Muskingum University strongly encourages applications from women and minorities, including populations traditionally underserved by higher education. Appointment to this position is conditional upon the successful completion of a background check through the University's background check agency.
Please send cover letter, resume, and a list of references to: Kathy Moore, Human Resources Manager. Materials should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.