Work Opportunities and Eligibility
Campus job opportunities are available to students in many areas including the library, mailroom and academic departments. Students are employed under the Federal Work-Study program or the Muskingum Work program. Students are not placed in positions, it is up to the student to find a campus job.
Federal Work-Study is a government program with the purpose of providing part-time employment opportunities for undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need in order to assist them in their pursuit of a college education.
Students who are not eligible for Federal Work Study may also seek campus employment. A non work-study student may be hired if there are no work-study eligible students available to work, or the non work-study student has skills, abilities or experience the department needs which work study students do not have.
Most students are paid minimum wage ($8.55 per hour) and work 5 to 10 hours per week. All students are limited to a total of 20 hours a week for all jobs combined.
Finding a Job
Students can find available job postings in Handshake. CREATE YOUR HANDSHAKE ACCOUNT TODAY: Download the app or visit: Handshake for Students. Enter your .edu email address to get started. Fill out your profile. You'll receive personalized job recommendations and get recruited by employers who want to hire students like you. Contact Jackie Vascura in Career Services with questions at email@example.com
Posting a Job (for campus employers)
Campus jobs can now be posted in Handshake. Download the app or visit: Handshake for Employers.
Review our step by step instructions to help you set up your company profile and post your job: Employer Set up your Handshake account.pdf Contact Jackie Vascura in Career Services with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When a student secures a position, several steps must be taken to formalize the hiring and payroll process:
- Complete a Work Authorization Form. The form must be completed by the student and signed by the employer.
- Complete an I-9, Ohio IT-4 and a W-4 with identification (i.e. social security card, school ID, or any acceptable identification listed on the back of the I-9 form). A student only needs to complete these forms and provide identification once while working at Muskingum.
- A student may not start working until all appropriate paperwork is completed.
- Enter hours on Muskie Link each month for supervisor approval.
- Students need to sign up for Bank Mobile to receive their paychecks immediately, otherwise, they will be mailed to their home address on file. They can log into their Muskie link, click on Make Refund/payroll choice and that will direct them to the Bank mobile website. They can call the Business office if they are having problems setting up their account at 740-826-8111.
- Provided that the student has completed all of the above, the student is paid electronically each month. Wages are paid directly to the student and are not subtracted from the student's account.
Working in the Summer
Summer employment at Muskingum University is considered non work-study. Students are paid electronically on a bi-weekly basis. Summer postings can also be found in Handshake. ALL summer workers need to complete a new Work Authorization and those who have never worked on campus before will need to submit the I-9, Ohio IT-4 and a W-4 as well.