Policies and Procedures
List of Policies and Procedures for the Disability Education Office
Animal on Campus
Outlines the University's policy on pets, Emotional Support Animals, and Service Animals on campus.
Emotional Support Animals (ESA)
To register an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), you must read the Animals on Campus Policy and provide the following documentation:
- Emotional Support Animal Request to Register
- This form must be filled out each year and must be signed by your roomate (if applicable)
- Cats and dogs must be a minimum of 12 months of age at the time of registration
- Emotional Support Animal Request for Information
- This form is to be filled out by your medical professional
- Pictures of your ESA
- Pictures are to be from the front, rear, and both sides
- Proof of up to date vaccinations for your animal (if applicable)
You are not permitted to bring your Emotional Support Animal to campus until you have received an official approval email from the appropriate party (students = DEO, employees = HR).
ESA Registration is animal specific, if your Emotional Support Animal changes, you need to submit new documentation to be approved.
***Please note that we cannot accept Emotional Support Animal Registration from from any online organization.
The organization of Disability Rights Ohio addresses this common misconception:
"No matter if you have a support animal or a service animal, there is no official registry, certificate, or papers. None can be demanded, and no one should pay for registration or offical certification -- that does not exist." (Retrieved from Disability Rights Ohio Blog, under “Remember, certification is not required”)
The most recent guidance published by HUD addresses documentation from the internet:
"In HUD's experience, such documenation from the internet is not, by itself, sufficient to reliably establish that an individual has a non-observable disability or disability-related need for an assistance animal." (Retrieved from HUD Assistance Animal Announcement, Page 11 – Documentation from the Internet)
Service Animals are not required to be registered with the Disability Education Office or Human Resources. Please see more details in the Animals on Campus Policy.