1) What was the name of the boat on which the founders of Germantown, Pa arrived?
(A.) St. Liberty
2) In what year was the first article in German published which advocated emigration to the North America?
3) Which traditional Christmas item did Hessian soldiers introduce to America?
(B.) Christmas Tree
(D.) Story of Santa Claus
4) True or False, the first Bible printed in North America was in German.
5) In which American city did the famous hamburger first appear?
(A.) St. Louis
(D.) New York City
6) How many German-American breweries were there in Cincinnati in 1880?
7) In 1823 the first all-German singing society was founded in which city?
8) The original name of Hollywood, founded by Adolf Pfannenschmidt, was_______________.
9) Who was the German separatist who helped found the city of Zoar, Ohio?
(A.) Joseph Baumeler
(B.) Johann Lederer
(C.) William Bauk
(D.) Georg Hack
10) Who was the first U.S. president of direct German descent?
(A.) Harry Truman
(B.) Dwight Eisenhower
(C.) Herbert Hoover
(D.) Martin Fitzgerald
11) On October sixth of what year did the first German
settlers arrive in America?
12) How much did travel fare, also known as Steerage
Passage, cost in 1837 for America-bound Germans coming from Bremen (in
13) In 1772 the Moravians founded what Ohio mission?
(A.) Götter Hoffen
14) Which German-American wrote the first training manual for the U.S. Army?
(A.) General Nicholas Herkimer
(B.) General von Stueben
(C.) Major F. von Heer
(D.) Prince Rupecht
15) In 1807 German-American Martin Baum, a riverboat pioneer of Ohio, became the mayor of which Ohio city?
16) In which year was the Cincinnati Turnverein founded?
17) Which German-American founded the first American Kindergarten?
(A.) Ms. Maria Ludwig
(B.) Mrs. Carl Schurz
(C.) Mrs. Barbara Heck
(D.) Ms. Petra Zenger
18) Name one German-American brewer who helped transform
Milwaukee into a leading
19) The name "Smith" is the derivative of what German name?
20) Who was the U.S. president when Germany was reunited on October 3, 1990?
(A.) Ronald Reagan
(B.) William Clinton
(C.) George Bush Sr.
(D.) Jimmy Carter
21) Which Prussian ruler first recognized the United States as an independent country?
(A.) Prince Rupecht
(B.) Grand Duke Ferdinand
(C.) Prince Wilhelm I
(D.) Fredrick Barbarossa
22) Which German-American served as the first elected governor of New York?
(A.) Johann Lederer
(B.) Jacob Leisler
(C.) Carl Schurz
(D.) Honus Wagner
23) Where was the first hymnal in America published?
(A.) Christliches Liederbuch
(B.) Gesangbuch von Unserem Vater
(C.) Lob vom Vater
(D.) Germantauner Zeitung