Challenges on the Job
Dealing with Writing Expectations on
- Even entry level positions in organization require writing
on a regular basis. Writing well may be essential to attain success
or advancement within an organization. The type of written work
required will vary in length and format, but a few examples of
possible writing requirements are memos, letters, directions,
reports, and presentations. Strategies to help make writing more
successful are as follows:
- Have an introductory paragraph with a thesis statement.
- Include support for the thesis.
- End with a brief concluding statement.
- Proofread and re-read many times for spelling, punctuation,
- Develop a checklist of YOUR common errors.
- Read the correspondence aloud.
- Develop a relationship with a co-worker for proofreading.
- Use spell checks and grammar checks.
- Write, do something else, then go back and read what you
- Be aware of proper format, then make a copy of a completed
correspondence to refer back to for the next writing.