Political Science Research Databases
International Political Science Abstracts
Index and abstracts of articles from political science journals. more information
Gongwer News Service | off-campus access
Ohio state government and political news and information. more information
Historical Statistics of the United States
Quantitative facts of American history. more information
Oxford Scholarship Online
Full text to 1,350 Oxford books covering economics, philosophy, political science, and religion. These titles are also available in the Electronic Book Center.
Worldwide Political Science Abstracts (1975-2006) (NOTE: This database is no longer updated.)
Index and abstracts to journal articles in political science, international relations, law, and public administration / policy. more information
Congressional Research Service Reports
Open CRS or University of North Texas or
National Council for Science and the Environment
Research conducted by the Library of Congress for the benefit of members of Congress to help them draft public policy. The reports are reviewed for accuracy and objectivity and contain non-technical information. Unfortunately, their isn't a central site for all of the CSR reports. Search for a specific topic or browse the three archives by subjects. There will be some overlap.
Social Sciences Citation Index (ISI Web of Science)
Index, abstracts, and cited references for articles in the social sciences. more information
Legal Research Databases
LexisNexis Academic includes the following specialized legal research tools:
Index, abstracts and full text of articles on law and legal topics. more information
Biographical Directory of the United States Congress 1774 - 2005
Includes biographies of nearly 12,000 individuals who have served in the Congress of the United States since 1789 and in the Continental Congresses between 1774 and 1789.
Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments
Directory of Presidents, Prime Ministers, and other key government officials by country.
Direcory of diplomatic staffs of all foreign missions (embassy) to the United States.
Foreign Consular Offices in the United States
Official directory of foreign consular offices in the United States and recognized consular officers.
Key officers of Foreign Service Posts
Directory of key US State Department officers by country.
Electronic Reference Books (ABC-CLIO)
Click on a title to browse its table of contents or do a keyword search.
Law and Justice
- Great American Judges: An Encyclopedia
- Great American Lawyers: An Encyclopedia
- The Human Body on Trial
- Internet and the Law: Technology, Society, and Compromises
- The Judicial Branch of State Government: People, Process, and Politics
Legal Systems Of The World: A Political, Social, And Cultural Encyclopedia
- Medicine on Trial: A Handbook with Cases, Laws, and Documents
- Native American Sovereignty On Trial: A Handbook with Cases, Laws, and Documents
- Native Americans and the Law: A Dictionary
- Pornography On Trial: A Handbook with Cases, Laws, and Documents
- Racial Violence on Trial: A Handbook with Cases, Laws, and Documents
- Religion and the Law in America: An Encyclopedia of Personal Belief and Public Policy
- The Right to Counsel and Privilege against Self-Incrimination: Rights and Liberties under the Law
- Voting Rights on Trial: A Handbook with Cases, Laws, and Documents
- Waging War on Trial: A Handbook with Cases, Laws, and Documents
- War Crimes and Justice: A Reference Handbook
Political Science Topics
- East Asian Americans and Political Participation: A Reference Handbook
- From Suffrage to the Senate: An Encyclopedia of American Women in Politics
- Human Rights In The United States: A Dictionary And Documents
- Human Rights: A Reference Handbook
- Human Rights Worldwide: A Reference Handbook
- Illegal Immigration: A Reference Handbook
- Information Sources of Political Science, Fifth Edition
- Latino Americans and Political Participation: A Reference Handbook
- Media and Politics in America: A Reference Handbook
- Native Americans and Political Participation: A Reference Handbook
- Political Corruption in America: An Encyclopedia of Scandals, Power, and Greed
- Poverty in the United States: An Encyclopedia of History, Politics, and Policy
- Propaganda and Mass Persuasion: A Historical Encyclopedia, 1500 to the Present
- Public Opinion and Polling around the World: A Historical Encyclopedia
- Religion on Trial: A Handbook with Cases, Laws, and Documents
- Religion And Politics: A Reference Handbook
- The USA PATRIOT Act of 2001: Balancing Civil Liberties and National Security: A Reference Handbook
- The War on Drugs: An International Encyclopedia
- Welfare Reform: A Reference Handbook
- Women and Political Participation: A Reference Handbook
- Women and the Law: Leaders, Cases, and Documents
- World Fascism: A Historical Encyclopedia
- World Population: A Reference Handbook
United States Constitution
United States Supreme Court
- The Taney Court: Justices, Rulings, and Legacy (1836-1864)
- The Waite Court: Justices, Rulings, and Legacy (1874-1888)
- The Fuller Court: Justices, Rulings, and Legacy (1888-1910)
- The White Court: Justices, Rulings, and Legacy (1910-1922)
- The Taft Court: Justices, Rulings, and Legacy (1921-1930)
- The Hughes Court: Justices, Rulings, and Legacy (1930-1941)
- The Stone Court: Justices, Rulings, and Legacy (1941-1946)
- The Warren Court: Justices, Rulings, and Legacy (1953-1969)
- The Rehnquist Court: Justices, Rulings, and Legacy (1994-2005)
Oxford Reference, Politics and Social Sciences
Full text reference books on Politics and Social Sciences. Titles include: A-Z of Countries of the World, A Dictionary of Geography, A Dictionary of Political Biography, The Oxford Companion to the Politics of the World, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Politics, and The Oxford Guide to the United States Government. more information
World Data Analyst Online
Detailed statistical comparisons of countries across the world. more information
Encyclopedia of the American Constitution (REF KF 4548 .E53)
Four-volume encyclopedia providing definitions of terms, articles on constitutional history and political issues, biographies of important people, information on court cases, and much more.
The Encyclopedia of Democracy (REF JC 423 .E53)
Four-volume encyclopedia covering countries, key figures, philosophical concepts, historical eras, and many other concepts relevant to the study of democracy. Articles are signed and include bibliographies for further reading.
Encyclopedia of Government and Politics (REF JA 61 .E53)
Two-volume encyclopedia covering political theory, political systems, political processes, international relations, policy making, and more. Articles are signed and include bibliographies for further reading.
The Almanac of American Politics (REF JK 1012 .B37)
Published every other year, provides information on the states, their governors, senators, and representatives.
CIS Index (REF KF 49 .C62)
Three-volume resource publishes yearly. Contains abstracts of congressional publications and the legislative history of U.S. public laws.
Congressional Quarterly Almanac Plus (REF JK 1 .C66)
Yearly publication which provides information on every major piece of legislation to pass through Congress from that particular year. Includes both bills that became laws and ones that did not
The Europa World Year Book (REF JN 1 .E85)
Two-volume resource published yearly. Provides a list of 1,650 international organizations and information about the countries of the world. Information for each country includes an introductory survey, a statistical survey, and a directory (of the government, political organizations, finance, religion, etc).
The Statesman’s Yearbook (REF JA 51 .S7)
Yearly publication detailing information on international organizations and the countries of the world. Country information includes a map, capital, key historical events, territory and population, social statistics, government, elections, current administration, economy, culture, and more.
Washington Information Directory (REF JK 7 .W33)
Provides information on agencies, Senate or House committees, nongovernmental groups with headquarters in or near Washington, and more.
Baldwin’s Ohio Administrative Code (REF KFO 35 .A24)
Multi-volume resource containing the rules and regulations established by Ohio administrative agencies.
Baldwin’s Ohio Revised Code Annotated (REF KFO 30 .A3)
Multi-volume resource containing Ohio laws, complete with the legislative history of the law, the uncodified law, historical and statutory notes, uniform laws, commentary, and more.
Black’s Law Dictionary (REF 156 .B53 2004)
Located in the Ready Reference collection, this dictionary defines thousands of legal terms. Also includes quotations which further explain the terms.
Katz Giannelli Criminal Law (REF KFO 561 .A6 S53)
Five-volume resource containing information on Ohio criminal law, including Rule of Criminal Procedures, Revised Code provisions on criminal law, recent case law developments, and criminal law precedents.
United States Code (REF KF 62 .A3)
Multi-volume resource containing United States laws in effect as of January 2, 2001.
Current Print Titles
Journal of Political Economy
Full Text Titles in the Electronic Journal Center
Politics, Political Science and Law title list
General Social Sciences title list
American Bar Association Public Resources
Provides information for the public on legal topics such as children and the law, domestic violence, estate planning, human rights, and much more. Also contains information about the legal system, legal statistics, and a consumer's guide to legal help.
American Experience: The Presidents
Over 25 hours of streaming video from the PBS Presidents series including a detailed summary page for each chief executive, an in-depth look at the presidents in the broadcast series line-up, and includes links to presidential sites, a detailed bibliography, collections of primary sources, and more.
American Political Science Association
The leading professional organization for the study of political science.
Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management
An organization dedicated to improving public policy and management by fostering excellence in research, analysis, and education.
Browse or search for legal information on topics from bankruptcy and debt to family law to criminal law.
Foreign Relations of the United States
Digitized volumes of major U.S. foreign policy decisions maintained by the University of Wisconsin.
Global Legal Information Network
GLIN is a database maintained by the Library of Congress. It includes official texts of laws, regulations, judicial decisions, and other complementary legal sources.
Internet Law Library
Provides information on the U.S. Code, laws from other nations, international law, law schools, directories of attorneys, and much more.
Ohio County Profiles
Prepared by the Ohio Department of Development's Office of Strategic Research this web site contains data and analysis on the Economic, Industrial, and Demographic trends of the State of Ohio, its businesses and its people.
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
Provides information about its 30 member countries and the relationships between them. Also has information on 70 other countries with which the organisation has active relationships. Contains useful publications, statistics, and information about economic and social issues.
Political Science Resources on the Web
Provides links to hundreds of political science websites.
Richard Kimber’s Political Science Resources
British site which contains links to websites dealing with political theory, political parties around the world, journals, government websites, constitutions, elections, and much more.
Society for Public Administration
Organization that advances the art, science, teaching, and practice of public and non-profit administration.
Stanley Foundation Policy Analysis Briefs
Reports, analysis, and articles focused on building sustainable peace.
State Government Blue Books
Contains links to state government blue books providing facts, biographies, and much more.
Detailed bibliography identifying sources that address terroism threats, methods, trends, vulnerabilities, and regional issues.
The U.S. Congress Votes Database
Contains "every vote in the U.S. Congress since 1991". Browse by Congress or by member of Congress.
Search across multiple sources including official statistics produced by countries and compiled by United Nations data system, as well as estimates and projections. The domains covered are agriculture, education, energy, industry, labour, national accounts, population and tourism.
This web site collects news and views about the United States published in other countries.
The World Bank: Countries and Regions
Provides information on the countries of the world, including an overview, data and statistics, news and events, publications and reports, and more.
Worldwide Governance Indicators
Aggregate and individual governance indicators for 212 countries and territories over the period 1996–2006.
Need help? There are many ways to ask us questions. We're here to help you!