International Admissions
Program Overview
Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid
Degree-Transfer Admission and Financial Aid
Exchange Student Admission
College Profile
Academic Majors
Online Forms & Literature
Frequently Asked Questions
Campus Photos
Program Calendar
English Support Program
Immigration Information
F-1 Information
J-1 Information
Related Links
Other Int'l Student Services
World Vision Organization
Modern Languages Department
Study Abroad
Contact Us

Program Costs for International Students

In your application for admission to Muskingum and then again when you apply for a student (F) or Exchange Visitor (J) visa to come to the United States, you must provide documents assuring that
you have enough money for all your expenses. From the American viewpoint, this documentation means you actually have the money, or at least have unrestricted access to it. If you do not actually have the money or access to it, you should not come to the United States. Living here is very expensive; and although Muskingum offers some financial aid for degree seeking international students, it is not enough to cover all of your expenses. Some students provide documents of funds that they cannot or simply do not intend to use (for instance papers from a family member who cannot really afford to support the student); those students believe that if they can just get the visa, they will be able to find a way to earn their own way through hard work and/or extra scholarships-- this is not the case. If you do not have the funds you need, in most cases, you will have to leave your studies and go home until you do. Wise students will not come to the United States unless they truly have the money they need.

The US government restricts the type and amount of work that foreign students are allowed to do. In most cases, you are restricted to working on campus for up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session, and up to 40 hours per week during semester breaks. On campus jobs usually pay "minimum wage" which is the lowest amount an employer is allowed to pay any employee by law. Off campus work of any kind (including informal work like babysitting, or yard work) is against the law unless it is a required part of your academic program and you have special permission from Department of Homeland Security and/or the person on your campus authorized by the Department of Homeland Security to grant work permission for you (Designated School Official or Responsible Officer). Working without permission has serious consequences including the possibility of deportation.

Below are the amounts that you will see on your I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility that you will receive from Muskingum after you have been accepted and proved your ability to pay for your studies. Please keep in mind that these budgets do not take into consideration all of your costs -- so you and your family should carefully create a budget of your own to make sure that you can really afford a US education. That budget should be flexible to deal with normal fluctuations in your currency against the dollar and for cost inflations over the period you intend to study (perhaps 5% per year). Your family budget for your education should include:

  • Tuition and fees
  • Rent (or Room)
  • Food (often called “board,” as in “room and board”)
  • Health insurance and medical costs (although you will be required to buy health insurance through Muskingum, you may wish to purchase additional insurance of your own -- especially if you have an ongoing medical condition or if you need to change your eyeglass prescription regularly)
  • Books and course supplies
  • Transportation
  • Communications (mainly telephone and e-mail hookups)
  • Clothing
  • Personal expenses
  • Recreation
  • Furniture
  • Travel
  • Taxes, if you will be working on campus or have an approved off-campus work experience, you will pay US taxes on your earnings
  • For older or married students, expenses for dependents (that is, spouse and/or children who accompany you and are dependent on your financial support), including living costs, health insurance, childcare costs, and tuition for dependents who are in school. You will need to be able to prove you can take care of these expenses without resorting to working in the United States.  

Basic Fees and Charges for Degree Seeking Students

The student fees for the 2017-2018 academic year are as follows:

   Per Semester  Per Year
Tuition $13,450 $26,900
Standard Room $2,860 $5,720
Board $2,660 $5,320
Required Health Insurance (estimated) $550 $1100
Matriculation Fee **   $250
Student Activity Fee $126 $252
Technology Fee $247 $494
Laundry Fee $83 $166
Books and Supplies (estimated) $1,000 $2,000
Personal Expenses (estimated) $1,500 $3,000
TOTAL  $22,476 $45,202
** The matriculation fee is a one time charge for processing new degree-seeking students
Please note that the costs listed above are for degree seeking students only. These costs may not reflect any agreements we have with our exchange partner institutions, or costs for transient students, who are charged tuition by credit hour. 


Fees and Charges for Students on Direct Exchange Programs

The student fees for the 2017-2018 academic year are as follows:

   Per Semester  Per Year
paid to home institution
Standard Room** $2,860 $5,720
Standard Board
(21 meals per week)*
$2,660 $5,320
Required Health Insurance(estimated) $550 $1100
Student Activity Fee** $126 $252
Technology Fee** $247 $494
Laundry Fee** $83 $166
Books and Supplies (estimated) $1,000 $2,000
Personal Expenses (estimated) $1,500 $3,000
TOTAL  $9,026  $18,052
* All exchange students are required to purchase 21 meals per week
** Non-academic fees required vary by contractual obligations with the home institution.
Please note that the costs listed above are for degree students in direct exchange programs with partner institutions only, and do not reflect fees for some directed study classes such as some music courses.