Application Process for Transfer Students
Choosing your first university or college was a big decision. But as your interests change, transferring sometimes becomes a necessity. Muskingum College can help make your move as smooth as possible.
We welcome qualified applicants from two, three and four year institutions, both in the US and abroad, and we appreciate that your needs are different from those of first-year college students. These next few items will help guide you through the transfer process to help create a smooth transition from wherever you are to Muskingum College.
Application Process/Admission Guidelines
The transfer application process is straightforward, and there is no application fee.
- Admission decisions are based upon all previous secondary and post-secondary work, though more emphasis is placed on university coursework.
- Applicants should have the equivalent of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (C average) and be in good academic standing at their previous institution.
- An International Application form can be downloaded here. All of the requirements listed on the form apply to transfer students as well as first time students. Tips for successfully completing your application are available here.
- Request that your official secondary school transcripts be mailed to Muskingum College International Programs Office. An official transcript must be in a sealed envelope and be sent directly from the institution
- Request that your official college transcript and a course catalog be mailed to the Muskingum College International Programs Office. An official transcript must be in a sealed envelope and be sent directly from the institution.
- If you are attending a US university or college, have your current International Advisor submit an International Advisor report directly to the International Programs Office.
- Transfer students already in the US are encouraged to visit campus and have an interview with the Director of International Programs, although this is not a requirement.
Once the application and high school and college transcripts are received, the application is complete and an admission decision will be made.
- Upon admission to Muskingum, all previous college transcripts will be evaluated for potential transfer credit. Upon review of submitted transcripts, the student will receive a Transcript Evaluation Form indicating which classes have been transferred and the credit value for each.
- To be eligible for transfer credit, courses must be completed at an accredited college or university with a grade of C or better.
- Students may be asked to provide a college catalog from their previous institution(s) and/or a course syllabus for specific classes.
- Transfer students must complete a minimum of 48 credit hours at Muskingum College, regardless of the number of credits transferred from other institutions, in order to graduate from Muskingum.
- Class standing is determined by transferable semester credit hours. Minimum credit hours for class status are: sophomore (28), junior (60), senior (90).
- Quarter hours earned at previous institutions are modified to semester hours. One quarter hour equals 0.67 semester hours.
- Students may earn credits and/or advanced standing through departmental proficiency examinations, Advanced Placement Program, College Level Examination and through military service and lifelong experience.