Health Insurance Requirement
Muskingum College REQUIRES ALL international students (degree seeking and exchange) to purchase the college's health insurance plan (absolutely no waivers will be considered). The cost of the insurance for the 2005-2006 academic year (12 months of coverage) is estimated at $480. This policy covers health care needs, emergency medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains in the event of death. This policy DOES NOT INCLUDE routine dental care. The policy is valid everywhere EXCEPT in the student's country of permanent residence.
- J-1 exchange visitors are required by FEDERAL LAW to have medical insurance* in effect for themselves and any accompanying spouse or dependents on J visas. The medical insurance must adhere to these guidelines:
- Minimum Coverage - At a minimum, insurance shall cover:
- medical benefits of at least $50,000 per person per accident or illness;
- repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500; and
- expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $10,000
- Additional Terms - A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements shall not have a deductible that exceeds $500 per accident or illness, and must meet other standards specified in the regulations.
- Maintenance of Insurance - Exchange visitors must maintain the required insurance during the duration of their program.
- * Please note that the Health Insurance Policy Muskingum College requires you to purchase complies with these regulations.
- Healthcare in the USA is private and expensive and very different from the healthcare systems in you may be familiar with in your home country. Many of the hospitals around Muskingum are not familiar with foreign insurance companies and, therefore, it is much easier for you to have our policy. Muskingum College does not profit from this policy; it is in place for your convenience and protection and to make sure that you are following U.S. law. More information about the Health Insurance Plan will be provided during International Student Orientation.