International Admissions
Program Overview
Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid
Degree-Transfer Admission and Financial Aid
Exchange Student Admission
College Profile
Academic Majors
Online Forms & Literature
Frequently Asked Questions
Campus Photos
Program Calendar
English Support Program
Immigration Information
F-1 Information
J-1 Information
Related Links
Other Int'l Student Services
World Vision Organization
Modern Languages Department
Study Abroad
Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

You may find the answer to your question here, but if not, please feel free to contact us with your question. We are always happy to hear from prospective students.

About Muskingum and Studying in the USA

  • How much does it cost to attend Muskingum University? You can see a breakdown of basic fees here.
  • Where is Muskingum University? In New Concord, a small village in central Ohio
  • Will someone pick me up from the airport when I arrive? Or take me to the airport when I need to leave? 
  • Does Muskingum University operate on semesters or quarters? Two semesters ("fall" semester starts at the end of August, and "spring" semester starts in early January; there are also optional 4-, 5-, and 10-week terms during the summer. Students in F or J status may only start classes in the fall or spring semesters.
  • I have general questions about studying in the USA; is there a reliable resource I can turn to? Is there one in my hometown that I can visit in person? Yes, the US Department of State has a website with lots of information about studying in the US; there are also advising centers associated with the Department of State in many cities around the world. These centers provide lots of accurate, unbiased information.
  • Where can I find pictures of Muskingum University?
  • What is the undergraduate student-to-faculty ratio? 14 students to 1 faculty member .
  • What is the number of full-time faculty who have a doctoral degree? 96% of full-time faculty
  • Will my classes at Muskingum ever be taught by graduate student assistants? No.
  • What is the percentage of undergraduate enrollment by gender? About equal numbers of men and women.
  • Is there an application fee? No application fee is required.
  • Is financial aid available? Undergraduate international students are eligible for scholarships from $5,000 to $17,000 per year, based in previous academic performance. There is no financial assistance available through Muskingum for graduate students.
  • What form do I need to complete to receive a scholarship? None. All completed international applications for undergraduate are automatically considered for financial aid.
  • How many majors does Muskingum offer? 68 academic majors, 13 interdisciplinary majors, 8 pre-professional programs, or design your own!
  • Do I have to bring a computer of my own? What kind? Is the campus set up for wireless access? Muskingum's Computer and Network Services office has a website that answers most computer related questions.
  • How do I pay my fees? Information on many forms of payment is available online or by contacting the Director of International Admission.
  • I see a cost listed for health insurance on the fees page. Do I have to purchase this health insurance?  Yes, all international students are required to buy the university health insurance plan.

About Immigration Issues and Visas

  • What can you tell me about applying for a student (F-1) or Exchange Visitor (J-1) visa? An information sheet is on our website here.  You can also look at the Department of State's website.
  • What is SEVIS? SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is an internet-based system that allows schools and U S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)bureau to exchange data on the visa status of international students. Accurate and current information is transmitted electronically throughout an F-1 or J-1 student's academic career in the United States. US embassies and consulates also have access to information in SEVIS.
  • What is a SEVIS fee (I-901 SEVIS fee)? Am I required to pay? How do I pay it? Students and Exchange Visitors applying for F-1 or J-1 visas usually have to pay a SEVIS fee. There are other instances in which visitors with a valid visa must also pay the fee. The best source of information on the SEVIS fee is a web page by USCIS.
  • I need to renew or replace my passport. What do I do?  In general, non-immigrants must have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months while they are in the United States; only the government that issued the passport can renew or replace it. For further passport and embassy information visit the immigration section of this website.