Course Schedules
and Registration
Master of Information Strategy, Systems, & Technology (MISST)
Admission to MISST
Contact MISST
Educational Leadership Programs
Graduate Degree
Education Programs
Master of Arts
in Education (MAE)
Master of Arts
in Teaching (MAT)
Educational Specialist (Ed.S.)
Adult Degree Completion
Muskingum Adult Program for Bachelor Degree Completion (MAP)
Special Programs
Accounting Certificate
Professional Development
Teacher Education Clinical Practice and Student Teaching
Financial Aid
Forms & Literature
Academic Calendar

Financial Aid - MAP Students

The Muskingum Adult Program (MAP) is an undergraduate program designed primarily for working students who need to take classes during the evenings and weekends. Students are traditionally enrolled on a part-time basis, though full time enrollment is possible in some situations. A student must be working on a degree to be considered for funding, so students who enroll in a program that results in a Muskingum certificate, rather than one from the state or a professional organization, would not be eligible for funding.

It is the responsibility of the student to make sure that they have all the correct forms completed and/or submitted to Student Financial Services in a timely manner for a for a semester that they want assistance. Student loans can only be processed within the semester dates. After a student is awarded, it is also their responsibility to notify Student Financial Services of any changes to their credit hours in that semester.

  • All aid is dependent on federal and state funding and the final amount is only after the funds are disbursed by the federal processor and the state. In some cases the amount on an aid award will have to be changed due to new information from the funding source.
  • If a student withdraws from a class, federal policies have changed and this might affect a student's eligibility for a loan ( some of the loan the student received may have to be reduced) resulting in a possible balance due the university. In the past a withdrawal from a course did not change a student's eligibilty for that semester. The student will need to complete a course withdrawal form (available in the Graduate and Continuing Studies Office) when they withdraw.
  • Federal regulations require that students who did not attend class beyond certain periods of the semester are considered to have withdrawn regardless of any official notice or withdrawal. University policy requires notice be provided for withdrawal after the add/drop period. Therefore, students who receive a semester grade point average of 0.0, and were determined to have not attended class through 60% of the semester, will have their aid recalculated based on either the mid point of the semester or last date before the 60% date that can be documented. The student will be responsible for charges left after some of the aid is returned to the Department of Education.
  • If a student's grades at the end of a semester are 0.0, then the institution will have to determine whether the Fs were earned or if the student "withdrew" before the 60% point. If so, then the student's aid is recalculated and some of the funds may have to be returned to the source and the student will owe the institution.
    Click on MAP Policies and Procedures to view additional information.

The 2015-16 award year will consist of two semesters and within those semesters are 4 terms:

Summer 2015   $470 per credit hr
Fall 2015   $490 per credit hr
Spring 2016   $490 per credit hr


Financial Aid Eligibility
he type of assistance for which a student may be eligible depends on the enrollment status of the student during each academic semester and the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Degree seeking students may qualify for financial assistance through federal, state or private sources. Due to the lower tuition rate charged to MAP students, Muskingum-funded assistance is not available. Full-time enrollment is 12 credit hours per semester, half-time is 6 hours. Most types of financial aid require at least half-time enrollment.

Filing the FAFSA
Students seeking financial assistance must first file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Students may complete the 2015-16 form on-line at www.fafsa.gov for terms summer 2015, fall 2015 and spring 2016. Be sure to list Muskingum (003084) in the school section and to sign the form with your Federal username and password.


Financial Aid Award Letter
A Financial Aid Award Letter is sent to the student's Muskingum email upon Muskingum's receipt of the FAFSA and the student's registration for the semester. Financial aid is awarded for the year (so before awarded the financial aid office needs to know your enrollment plans for all terms in the award year. Loans are disbursed half in the first semester awarded and half in spring semester. The award letter will reflect the hours and tuition costs for the appropriate semester and the assistance the student is eligible for.

If your FAFSA is selected for verification for the 2015-16 year you will receive an e-mail from Student Financial Services directing you to go online to complete the verification process. If you have lost the e-mail here is the link to complete verification: https://muskingum.verifymyfafsa.com/Account/Login

You will need to create an account (or login if you already have an acount). After you login please follow the instructions to verify information provided on your FAFSA. If you need assistance you may call our office at 740-826-8139 and ask to speak with Kelley.

Using IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you file the FAFSA

When you file your FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov you will be offered the option of using IRS Data Retrieval to transfer your 2014 federal tax information directly from the IRS into your FAFSA application. If you use IRS Data Retrieval for your initial FAFSA submission your chances of being selected for verification by the Department of Education (a process which requires you to submit tax information to the Financial Aid Office) is significantly reduced.

Using IRS Data Retrieval Tool after you have filed the FAFSA
To access the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
1. login to your FAFSA record at www.fafsa.gov.
Select “Make FAFSA Corrections”.
3. Go to the financial information section of the FAFSA. If applicable please update your tax filing status to “already completed” and utilize IRS Data Retrieval. You will be asked to provide a student and parent PIN number. To validate your identity the IRS Data Retrieval will ask for your social security number, and date of birth. Please note that in order to access tax information your name and address must be entered exactly as it appears on your tax return.
4. Once your tax information is transferred to your FAFSA you will need to provide your FSA ID as your electronic signature and re-submit your FAFSA. The schools listed on your FAFSA will receive your updated information.

It is important that you do not alter your FAFSA income information after you have used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. If you need to make changes please make sure that you have filed an amended tax return first, then send us a tax return transcript of your amended return from the IRS.

If you have any technical questions while using the IRS Data Retrieval process please contact FAFSA at 1-800-433-3243.

To see how the IRS Data Retrieval works you can watch this video tutorial:

IRS Data Retrieval Tool Video Tutorial

Requesting a Tax Return Transcript for those not able to use IRS Data Retrieval

If you are selected for Verification and are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (i.e. you are married but filed separately, you filed an amended return, or you have a foreign tax return) you must provide us with a 2014 Federal Tax Return Transcript provided by the IRS. 
You may request a 2014 Federal Tax Return Transcript:
1) online at www.irs.gov
2) toll free at 1-800-908-9946 or
3) by downloading Form 4506-Twhich you will need to complete and mail to the IRS.

Please make sure that you are requesting a tax return transcript and not a tax account transcript.

If you have questions regarding the use of the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or requesting a tax return transcript please contact our office at 740-826-8139 and ask for Kelley Goodrich.

Types of Financial Aid Available

Yearly amounts are divided by three when awarded.

Federal Pell Grants
Federal Pell Grants are awarded to students who are at least half time according to specific federal eligibility criteria. Award amounts(yearly amounts)range from $626-5775 in 2015, dependent on enrollment status and level of federal funding. A student must file the appropiate FAFSA form and not be in default on any previous loans or be in an overpayment status with a federal grant. The student must also have not exceeded the equivalent of 12 semesters of full time Pell. The amount of the Pell grant per term will depend on the hours enrolled.

Ohio College Opportunity Grant
State Grants awarded to students from Ohio who are at least half time according to specific state eligibility criteria. Award amounts range from semester amounts of $321 - $1284 dependent on enrollment per term.

Choose Ohio First Scholarship (RN to BSN, Health Science and Informatics students only)
If you are from Ohio and are a student in the RN to BSN program, Health Science or Informatics program, you may be eligible for assistance from the Choose Ohio First Scholarship program through the Ohio Board of Regents. Students may apply for awards of up to $750 per semester in this program. Recipients are required to complete a small service requirement as a condition of the award. Applications for the Choose Ohio First Scholarships are available from the office of Graduate and Continuing Studies.
Contact Janeen Eno if you have questions.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program
The Teach Grant program provides up to $3708 a year in grant assistance to an undergraduate student (dependent on grade level and credit hours) who agrees to serve for at least 4 years as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. A TEACH Grant recipient who does not complete their required teaching within a specified time frame or fails to meet certain other requirements of the TEACH Grant program will be required to repay the TEACH Grant as a direct unsubsidized loan under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. The amount of the TEACH will depend on credit hours per term.

Students must check their eligibility by reviewing the TEACH Information Sheet.

Students who have reviewed the TEACH Eligibility Form and want to apply for the grant must complete the TEACH Grant 2015-16 Agreement to Serve and complete online entrance counseling at www.teach-ats.ed.gov. If the student is enrolled, has the appropriate FAFSA on file, then the student is reviewed to see if he or she meets the TEACH requirements. As this grant is limited to students in education and then limited more by major, it is difficult for a MAP student to meet the requirements to be eligible. If you are planning to graduate I am requesting that you complete the required TEACH Grant Exit Counseling. It is very important that you complete the exit counseling as it will remind you of the TEACH grant requirements and obligations. It will also explain how to keep in contact with the Department of Education regarding your teaching status. If you are planning on attending graduate school you may be eligible to receive the TEACH grant as a graduate student. If a student receives the TEACH grant, they have up to 14 days to cancel the grant. Contact the Business Office or Student Financial Services.

Federal Direct Stafford Student Loans
Federal Direct Stafford Student Loans are available to all students who file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and who are enrolled at least half-time. The maximum Federal Direct Stafford Loan amount for which the student is eligible is reflected on the award letter. In many cases students are eligible for “subsidized” Stafford Loans, which means the federal government pays the interest during periods of enrollment. In other cases, part or all of the loan will be classified as "unsubsidized," meaning the student, rather than the government, is responsible for the interest while enrolled in school. Interest rates are variable and are set every July 1. Federal Direct Stafford Loans disbursed after July 1, 2014 and before July 1, 2015 have an interest rate of 4.66% and an upfront origination fee of 1.073.
Students who borrow in the Direct Loan program can cancel within 14 days. Contact the Business Office or Student Financial services.

person filling out loan application

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

If you have been awarded a Federal Direct Stafford Loan there are 3 steps you need to complete in order for Muskingum to be able to process your loan if you do not have an active Direct Loan MPN on file.

1. You will need to complete a Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov

2. If you have not had a Federal Stafford Loan or a Federal Direct Stafford Loan as a college student (here at Muskingum or elsewhere), you will also need to complete entrance counseling. This is available through the link listed above.

3. As there is no place on the MPN to indicate how much you want to borrow, you will need to, by email, phone or stopping in the office, contact Amber Gump, 740-826-8139 or amberg@muskingum.edu tto let her the amount you want to borrow.

Alternative Loans
Alternative Loans can be used to cover any educational expenses not covered by financial aid. This type of loan can be used if you are not interested in filing the FAFSA or will be enrolled less than half-time (6 hrs). The loan is in the student's name, but in some cases a credit-worthy cosigner is required. There are several payment options, though in most cases either interest or both principle and interest can be deferred. The credit check that is done on the borrower or co-signer is a credit scoring process. Students may borrow up to the cost of education minus financial aid. In some cases students may borrow to cover a previous balance.
There are hundreds of alternative loans available to students. We have selected the ones that we are most familiar with. If you go to FASTChoice you will be able to compare alternative loans and select the one that best meets your needs.

Click here to Start your Alternative Loan

Payment Plan
If a student would like to make payments to the college instead of borrowing money, they can contact Janet Nesselroad in the Student Accounts Office at 740-826-8118 or janetn@muskingum.edu


Exit Counseling
All loan borrowers at Muskingum University who graduate, withdraw, or otherwise cease to attend at least half-time study are required to complete Exit Counseling. During counseling you will receive information about repayment of your loans. Go to studentloans.gov and click on Exit Counseling under Tools and Resources.

The Department of Education has also created an EXIT Counseling Guide for Federal Student Loan Borrowers (pdf) which provides you with the information you need to successfully repay your federal student loans.

If you have borrowed a Federal Perkins Loan, University Accounting Servicewill contact you about completing your Federal Perkins Loan Exit Counseling.

Cohort Default Rate
The FY 2010 three-year national student loan cohort default rate is 14.7%.

Muskingum's FY 2012 draft three-year cohort default rate is 5.9%.

Student Loan Indebtedness
The average amount of indebtedness of undergraduate student loan borrowers from the class of 2013 was $25,685 (not including private loans).

Repayment of Student Loans
Student Loans are serious obligations which must be repaid. Repayment of principal begins after a student graduates, withdraws, or drops below half-time enrollment. There is a six-month grace period between the time a student’s enrollment stops and repayment begins. During your grace period you should prepare to enter repayment by following these 3 steps to ensure successful repayment of you loans:

1. Know who you owe and how much. Your loans may have been sold to other lenders or to the Department of Education. Visit nslds.ed.gov to see who holds your Federal loans and how much you have borrowed. To see how much you borrowed in private loans, go to annualcreditreport.com to receive a listing of your private loans on a free credit report. (There is a fee if you want to view your FICO score.)

2. Determine the right repayment plan. For more specific information regarding repayment of loans including available repayment options go to studentloans.gov. You may also visit www.ibrinfo.org for information on income-based repayment. If you are interested in consolidating your loans, you may be able to extend your repayment period up to 30 years.  Consolidation will reduce your monthly payments but will greatly increase the total amount of interest you will pay. Visit studentloans.gov for more information.

3. Stay on top of your loans. Stay in contact with your lender to update your contact information or to change your repayment plan. If you are having trouble making a payment contact your lender to see if a deferment or forbearance is available. DO NOT SKIP A PAYMENT!

Loan Forgiveness Programs for Teachers and those in Public Service
You may be eligible for loan forgiveness if you meet certain criteria. For more information visit:http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts

Cost of attendance budgets

Budgets are constructed for each term, using tuition, average loan fees, $100 per credit hr for books and $9000 per 10 weeks for all other expenses.