Major Areas of Study: THEATRE
The study of theatre at Muskingum University combines theory and practice in the classroom with performance in theatre productions which are open to all students. Academic offerings provide students with a complete theatre experience which includes reading, writing, designing, building, acting, and directing plays.
- Contemporary American Theatre Company (Columbus, OH); Internships in theatre management
- John and Annie Glenn Historic Site Living History (New Concord, OH); Tour guides
- Pritchard Laughlin Civic Center (Cambridge, OH); Internships in technical theatre
- Students often work in acting or technical theatre at various summer stock theatre companies. Recently, students have worked at Trumpet in the Land, Blue Jacket, and Tecumseh! Outdoor Theatres. These experiences may earn students internship credit.
- Theatre majors are required to engage in a senior seminar in research. Some seminars involve practical projects, such as a directing project or a scenic design. Others study scripts, playwrights, theatre management, or historical periods in theatre.
- Students in theatre have had the opportunity to participate in the Summer Scholars Program. As a Summer Fellow, Daniel Shuey (MU graduate, and recent graduate of Georgetown Law School) expanded the technical aspects of the living theatre performance at the John and Annie Glenn Historic Site by developing new approaches in the script to meet the needs of younger children who might visit.
- Theatre students at Muskingum have the opportunity to join Alpha Psi Omega, the national Theatre honorary society. Founded in 1925, Alpha Psi Omega is the largest national honor society in America with over 550 casts. Membership in Alpha Psi Omega is only granted to fully accredited institutions with a four-year curriculum in theatre and drama, leading to a degree.
- Theatre General Staff (set construction, costume construction, lighting)
- Theatre Publicity Staff (creating posters, programs, conceiving and implementing public relations campaigns)
- Ohio Theatre Alliance Auditions and Interviews
- Involvement in the American College Theatre Festival provides opportunities for students in acting and design competitions.
- Attendance at the National USITT (United States Institute for Theatre Technology) Conference
Career Possibilities for Theatre Majors
- Technical Director
- Stage Manager
Muskingum Theatre graduates have been admitted into advanced degree programs at:
- University of Minnesota
- University of Delaware
- University of New Orleans