|| Major Areas of Study: BUSINESS
The Business program is a fully integrated degree program which seeks to provide students both a multi-faceted foundation in the classroom and the opportunity for special off-campus internships in the business world. Students leave prepared for graduate study in economics, business or law and for immediate participation in the business community.
Recent internships for Business students include:
- Resource Systems (New Concord, OH)
- Empower Media Marketing (Cincinnati, OH)
- Historic Roscoe Village (Coshocton, OH)
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car (Columbus, OH)
- Cincinnati Swarm (Professional Arena Football)
- The Washington Group (Cleveland, OH)
Business majors have recently participated in the following types of research:
- On site observation research has been conducted through the course, “Business Tours”. Organizations visited and studied include, but are not limited to, Longaberger, Colgate Palmolive, The Wilds, and The Washington Wild Things (minor league baseball franchise).
- Students may work with professors on special projects as needed. For example, through the Muskie Fellows Program a former student assisted a professor with background research, formulating hypotheses, and developing an initial draft of a paper presented at a national conference.
- Students helped research and organize information on sports management classes and programs around the country in order to help a professor introduce and prepare for the business elective BUSI 418 (Sports Management & Marketing). This research included developing, managing, and interpreting information from two focus groups.
The Business department typically employs four student assistants each year. Duties include, but are not limited to, research assistance, grading assistance, case analyses, facilitating classroom preparation, management of the annual departmental awards ceremony, tutoring assistance, and general office duties.
- The Muskingum University business club brings in guest speakers for the campus community, travels for corporate tours, and gets involved with entrepreneurial and fundraising activities.
- Majors are often honored at the Columbus Chapter of FEI (Financial Executives Institute), where they attend a banquet and listen to a professional panel presentation given by financial executives.
Business Majors from Muskingum are now employed at:
- Xerox, multiple distributorship owners in the Savannah, Georgia area
- State Farm Insurance, Agency Field Consultant
- Cleveland Heart Clinic, Senior Director of Development
- Bath and Body Works, Public Relations Manager
- Marietta Memorial Hospital, Director of Service Care, Marketing Director and Patient Education
- Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity & Foundation, Chief Executive Officer
A significant amount of business majors attend graduate school after 2-4 years of professional work experience. Recent graduates have enrolled in the following graduate schools:
- Bowling Green State University
- Yale University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Capital University
- The Ohio State University
- John Carroll University
- Kent State University
- London School of Economics
- University of Akron
- University of Pittsburgh