Awards and Honoraries
The Department of English awards scholarships to outstanding students. Students eligible for the awards include sophomore or junior English majors, with the exception of the Amos, for which students need not be English majors or Journalism majors. The awards include:
Amos: Honors excellence in print media--requires 3.2 or better grade point and a year of work in print media during the current year.
Beulah Brooks Brown: Honors excellence in creative writing--requires demonstrated ability in creative writing.
Sara Wilhelm: Honors excellence in literary studies--requires demonstrated academic merit and promise within the discipline of English.
Matilda Bailey: Honors excellence in English studies, especially among those entering the field of education--requires high academic achievement, and high moral character. Preference is given to students with financial need.
Muskingum University has one of the oldest chapters of Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honorary, in the country. The Omega Alpha Chapter of Muskingum University was founded in May 1924.
Requirements for Active Membership
- Be enrolled as an English major or minor
- Have completed a minimum of two college courses in English language or literature beyond English 121
- Hold a cumulative grade average of B (3.0) or higher in English
- Have obtained a cumulative GPA in general scholarship of 3.0 or higher
- Have completed at least three semesters of college course work
Requirements for Associate Membership
- Currently enrolled students who are not English majors or minors but who meet the academic standards listed above
- Faculty members with English degrees but who are not chapter sponsors
- Sigma Tau Delta alumni who are interested in remaining involved