The Chat-Back Club
The Chat-Back Club provides a forum for University students to share experiences, to socialize and to educate others about learning differences.
Chat-Back is a social and educational group whose goals are to:
- Focus on the strengths of individuals with learning disabilities rather than their areas of challenge.
- Encourage cooperative interaction among community members and valuing the contribution of each member.
- Identify and define different learning disabilities for use in understanding the different ways students learn.
- Distinguish sterotypical beliefs from truths regarding learning differences.
- Help to promote the use of assistive technology to support self-management of one's own learning.
All Muskingum University students are invited and encouraged to become members of the club. Since the initial meeting in 1995, the Chat-Back Club has grown, participating in multiple on-campus activities and organizing at least one campus-wide activity per semester. Monthly meetings between Chat-Back Club members and CAL staff coordinators are held each month to discuss club status and plan upcoming events.
On-Going Activities of the Chat-Back Club Members:
- Act as campus tour guides and telephone ambassadors for prospective PLUS/Muskingum University students
- Host overnight stays for prospective students
- Attend University Fairs to represent the University student perspective
- Assist with Friday Fresman Days (perspective students campus visitations)
- Assist with Muskie Preview Days (Summer orientation program)
- Assist with Muskingum University Parents Weekend
- Assist with the First Step Program as student mentors and then as potential officers for Chat-Back
- Host professional speakers focusing on issues related to learning differences
- Invite PLUS alumni to speak on issues related to learning differences, such as transition to the workforce
- Host a variety of social activities and represent Chat-Back in activities
- Contribute to the CAL publication of the Centerline newsletter
- Talk with students with learning disabilities (grades 1 - 12) regarding their future opportunites for University
- Host an open forum for local students with learning disabilities and their parents at Muskingum University
- Assist in the education of the University community about learning differences
- Be a part of the University's Activities Fair each fall semester
Students are encouraged to participate in Chat-Back meetings and activities. To become a Chat-Back member, or to obtain additional information about the club and upcoming events, contact Melissa Choate at firstname.lastname@example.org.