Course Equivalency Guides
Academic Policies and Credit Evaluation
- Once you're accepted for admission, we'll review your transcripts and create
a Transfer Credit Evaluation to reflect how your courses
transfer to Muskingum.
- To be eligible for transfer credit, courses must be completed at an
accredited college or university with a passing grade or better.
- Students may be asked to provide a college catalog from their previous
institution(s) and/or a course syllabus for specific classes.
- Transfer students must complete a minimum of 32 credit hours at Muskingum
University, regardless of the number of credits transferred from other
institutions, in order to graduate from Muskingum.
- Class standing is determined by transferable semester credit hours. Minimum
credit hours for class status are: sophomore (28), junior (60), senior
- Quarter hours earned at previous institutions are modified to semester
hours. One quarter hour equals 0.67 semester hours.
- Students may earn credits and/or advanced standing through departmental
proficiency examinations, Advanced Placement Program, College Level Examination
and through military service and lifelong experience.
- Completion of the bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree requires
- completion of 124 semester credit hours including, with few exceptions, a
maximum of 40 semester hours in one discipline
- a 2.0 GPA minimum in all work taken at Muskingum and in all courses in the
- a minimum of 40 semester hours in courses at the 300-level or above
- completion of one departmental or interdisciplinary major with a minimum of
12 semester hours completed in the junior and senior years at Muskingum
- completion of the Liberal Arts Essentials (LAE)
- Muskingum adheres to the Ohio Board of Regents Transfer and Articulation
Policy. Students who have earned an Associate's Degree, or who have completed
at least 60 semester credit hours of earned transferable credit, from regionally
accredited institutions, will be able to earn a baccalaureate degree from
Muskingum University by meeting the following requirements:
- successful completion of the Transfer Module recognized by the Ohio Board of
- Students may fulfill any remaining transfer module requirements by using
Muskingum University course equivalents.
- completion of a minimum of 124 earned semester credit hours
- completion of the requirements of the academic major
- completion of the Muskingum residency requirement of 32 earned semester
- completion of a minimum of 40 semester credit hours at the 300-400 level,
including one 3-hour, 300-level writing unit course
- completion of one 3-hour, 300-level course selected from the Moral Inquiry
section of the Liberal Arts Essentials (LAE)