Application Process for Transfer Students
Choosing your first college was a big decision. But as your interests change, transferring sometimes becomes a necessity. Muskingum University can help make your move as smooth as possible.
We welcome qualified applicants from both two and four year institutions, and we appreciate that your needs are different from those of first-year college students. These next few items will help guide you through the transfer process to help create a smooth transition from wherever you are to Muskingum.
Application Process/Admission Guidelines
The transfer application process is straightforward, and there is no application fee.
- Admission decisions are based upon all previous secondary and post-secondary work, though more emphasis is placed on college coursework.
- Applicants should have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and be in good academic standing at their previous institution.
- An Admission Application can be obtained by calling the Admission Office at 1-800-752-6082, or you may Apply online.
- Request that your official college and secondary school transcript(s) be mailed to the Muskingum University Admission Office. An official transcript must be in a sealed envelope and be sent directly from the institution.
- Transfer students are encouraged to visit campus and have an interview with the Coordinator of Transfer Admission, although this is not a requirement.
Once the application and high school and college transcripts are received, the application is complete and an admission decision will be made.
Academic Policies and Credit Evaluation
- Upon admission to Muskingum, all previous college transcripts will be evaluated for potential transfer credit. Upon review of submitted transcripts, the student will receive a Transcript Evaluation Form indicating which classes have been transferred and the credit value for each.
- To be eligible for transfer credit, courses must be completed at an accredited college or university with a grade of C- or better.
- Students may be asked to provide a college catalog from their previous institution(s) and/or a course syllabus for specific classes.
- Transfer students must complete a minimum of 32 credit hours at Muskingum University, regardless of the number of credits transferred from other institutions, in order to graduate from Muskingum.
- Class standing is determined by transferable semester credit hours. Minimum credit hours for class status are: sophomore (28), junior (60), senior (90).
- Quarter hours earned at previous institutions are modified to semester hours. One quarter hour equals 0.67 semester hours.
- Students may earn credits and/or advanced standing through departmental proficiency examinations, Advanced Placement Program, College Level Examination and through military service and lifelong experience.
- Completion of the bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree requires the following:
-- completion of 124 semester credit hours including, with few exceptions, a maximum of 40 semester hours in one discipline
-- a 2.0 GPA minimum in all work taken at Muskingum and in all courses in the chosen major
-- a minimum of 40 semester hours in courses at the 300-level or above
-- completion of one departmental or interdisciplinary major with a minimum of 12 semester hours completed in the junior and senior years at Muskingum
-- completion of the Liberal Arts Essentials (LAE)
- Muskingum adheres to the Ohio Board of Regents Transfer and Articulation Policy. Students who have earned an Associate's Degree, or who have completed at least 60 semester credit hours of earned transferable credit, from regionally accredited institutions, will be able to earn a baccalaurete degree from Muskingum University by meeting the following requirements:
-- successful completion of the Transfer Module recognized by the Ohio Board of Regents
-- completion of a minimum of 124 earned semester credit hours
-- completion of the requirements of the academic major
-- completion of the Muskingum residency requirement of 32 earned semester credit hours
-- completion of a minimum of 40 semester credit hours at the 300-400 level, including one 3-hour, 300-level writing unit course
-- completion of one 3-hour, 300-level
course selected from the Moral Inquiry section of the Liberal Arts Essentials (LAE)
Students transferring to Muskingum having met either the Associate's Degree or 60 credit hour level who have not completed the Transfer Module may fulfill any remaining transfer module requirements by using Muskingum University course equivalents.