| Major Areas of Study: MARKETING
The Marketing major at Muskingum University is a fully integrated bachelor's degree program which seeks to provide students both a multi-faceted foundation in the classroom and the opportunity for special off-campus internships in the world of business and marketing. Students leave prepared for graduate study or immediate participation in the business community.
Recent internships for our students include:
- Resource Systems (New Concord, OH)
- Empower Media Marketing (Cincinnati, OH)
- Historic Roscoe Village (Coshocton, OH)
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car (Columbus, OH)
- Cincinnati Swarm (Professional Arena Football)
- The Washington Group (Cleveland, OH)
Majors have recently participated in the following types of research:
- On site observation research has been conducted through the course, “Business Tours”. Organizations visited and studied include, but are not limited to, Longaberger, Colgate Palmolive, The Wilds, and The Washington Wild Things (minor league baseball franchise).
- Students may work with professors on special projects as needed. For example, through the Muskie Fellows Program a former student assisted a professor with background research, formulating hypotheses, and developing an initial draft of a paper presented at a national conference.
- Students helped research and organize information on sports management classes and programs around the country in order to help a professor introduce and prepare for the business elective BUSI 418 (Sports Management & Marketing). This research included developing, managing, and interpreting information from two focus groups.
The Economics, Accounting, and Business Department typically employs four student assistants each year. Duties include, but are not limited to, research assistance, grading assistance, case analyses, facilitating classroom preparation, management of the annual departmental awards ceremony, tutoring assistance, and general office duties.
- The Muskingum University Business Club brings in guest speakers for the campus community, travels for corporate tours, and gets involved with entrepreneurial and fundraising activities.
- Majors are often honored at the Columbus Chapter of FEI (Financial Executives Institute), where they attend a banquet and listen to a professional panel presentation given by financial executives.
Muskingum graduates are now employed at:
- Xerox, multiple distributorship owners in the Savannah, Georgia area
- State Farm Insurance, Agency Field Consultant
- Cleveland Heart Clinic, Senior Director of Development
- Bath and Body Works, Public Relations Manager
- Marietta Memorial Hospital, Director of Service Care, Marketing Director and Patient Education
- Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity & Foundation, Chief Executive Officer
A significant number of our majors attend graduate school after 2-4 years of professional work experience. Recent graduates have enrolled in the following graduate schools:
- Bowling Green State University
- Yale University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Capital University
- The Ohio State University
- John Carroll University
- Kent State University
- London School of Economics
- University of Akron
- University of Pittsburgh
Angela Darnley ('16), a current sophomore, came to
Muskingum from Canton, Ohio, to major in Accounting, Business Management and
Marketing with a minor in Economics.
says, “When I first stepped on Muskingum’s campus for my visit, I immediately
felt at home and like it was the place for me. I knew that the smaller campus
atmosphere was right for me and it would be the perfect place to spend four
years. I knew that I could be very involved within the campus community, while
also succeeding academically.”
stays busy as a member of the women’s basketball team, Lambda Sigma Honorary
Society and Business Club. I try to be involved with as many volunteer
opportunities as possible as well. Angela also spent her spring break in London
– traveling, learning and earning six course credits!
almost four semesters at Muskingum, I am most thankful for the professors and
small class sizes. They are unbelievably helpful and always willing to do what
they can to aid in students being successful. I honestly believe that without
their availability, I would not be where I have gotten to in these two years.
Their work gives students so many opportunities to get involved and do several
different things. I have made a lot of friends [in classes], which also helps in
being successful in the classroom, since we can all help one another out.”
Courses; Major/Minor Requirements
List of all Majors